Old 05-02-2005, 03:32 AM
mdvaden

I'm not sure whether you or others would like our situation here in
Oregon for a pattern to follow, or not.

About 9 out of 10 Certified Arborists here either own a licensed
business or work for a licensed business.

All tree service businesses in Oregon are licensed with either the
Construction Contractors Board or the Landscape Contractors Board and
are required by law to carry bond, insurance and workers compensation
insurance.

Only a few Certified Arborists are in a different employ - like
university campus horticulture superintendents or the head of the
Oregon Garden public botanical garden.

So, here, basically every arborist that is likely to be hired is under
a license. Likewise with all landscape contractors.

It works out very well. This spring, it is expected that all arborists
will be under the landscape contractors board, compiling the entire
green industry under on umbrella so they can communicate more freely.

Tex John Wrote:
I can't understand why one would think an arborist would have the
"needed"
insurance...

I have my own corporation, install doors and do other work, and know
one
need not get worker's comp nor unemployment insurance without
employees
since the owners don't qualify for them. In fact, the State asks you
not to
even apply for such!

And arborists are more likely to be self employed than most....even
foresters...not that I truly care or want to start an arguement nor
flame
the original poster...

John

"mdvaden" wrote in message
...-

You might consider contacting a pro like a golf course superintendent
or
university campus landscape supervisor. Sometimes, they hire
arborists,
and they care about who they hire.

You could go to
http://www.isa-arbor.com - click to enter, then on
the
menu select the option to find an arborist. Then enter your zip code
find a Certified Arborist.

If you don't want soliciting, tell them up front. And let them know
you
don't want free advice. That way you are paying just for consulting.

There are consulting arborists that just do consulting. Often, their
niche is indicated.

--
mdvaden-

--