Old 06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ford Prefect wrote:
I have always wanted to grow Ophrys apifera (bee orchid) I live in the
South of the UK where I know they grow wild so climate should be no
problem, anyone know
1)where I could buy one, I found http://www.hardyorchids.supanet.com/
but they don't list it.
and
2)got any tips when/if I do get one.

Pray for a miracle?

All of the UK orchids are terrestrial, and most are critically dependent
on mycorrhizal associations. Climate is the least of the requirements;
soil is more important, and it is likely that at least some such fungi
cannot survive without the orchids. I can't tell you if the bee orchid
is one of the ones where the mycorrhizal association has even been
identified or whether it ever has been grown artificially.

And, if you ask the question "How did they get there in the first place
if they are so pernickety?" you will get the answer "That's a damn good
question." Terrestrial orchids are scientifically fascinating, extremely
complex and in need of a lot more study - but, as they are economically
unimportant, it doesn't get much funding.

No, I am no expert, and would be interested in better information, but
the above is correct in principle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.