Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Ford Prefect

Default Hardy Orchids in the UK

I have always wanted to grow Ophrys apifera (bee orchid) I live in the
South of the UK where I know they grow wild so climate should be no
problem, anyone know
1)where I could buy one, I found http://www.hardyorchids.supanet.com/
but they don't list it.
and
2)got any tips when/if I do get one.
Many thanks.
Ford
Old 06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ford Prefect wrote:
I have always wanted to grow Ophrys apifera (bee orchid) I live in the
South of the UK where I know they grow wild so climate should be no
problem, anyone know
1)where I could buy one, I found http://www.hardyorchids.supanet.com/
but they don't list it.
and
2)got any tips when/if I do get one.

Pray for a miracle?

All of the UK orchids are terrestrial, and most are critically dependent
on mycorrhizal associations. Climate is the least of the requirements;
soil is more important, and it is likely that at least some such fungi
cannot survive without the orchids. I can't tell you if the bee orchid
is one of the ones where the mycorrhizal association has even been
identified or whether it ever has been grown artificially.

And, if you ask the question "How did they get there in the first place
if they are so pernickety?" you will get the answer "That's a damn good
question." Terrestrial orchids are scientifically fascinating, extremely
complex and in need of a lot more study - but, as they are economically
unimportant, it doesn't get much funding.

No, I am no expert, and would be interested in better information, but
the above is correct in principle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Epsom, Surrey

Hi Ford! what part of the south are you in? im just south of London. anyway back to your topic.... have you tried equatorial plants (if they still exist?) i had an old list and i can remember seeing it on there, however they are seedlings, but normally they have a stand at the London Orchid show selling larger plants of their stock. Or rareplants.co.uk i know they have alot of hardy orchids including a good variety of Cypripedium species and hybrids, but not sure if they have Ophrys.

hope this is of some help!

Gareth
Old 08-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Ford Prefect

Hi Gareth, I'm in Portsmouth.
Thanks all for the replys, I'll look up the sites you suggested, and
keep my fingers crossed :0)
Ford.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Ford Prefect

Quick update.
Thanks noone@nowhere that site was great didn't have apifera but there
were a few others that took my fancy and Gareth rare plants didn't
list any but there list of Arisaema was great I'll definatly put an
order in with them next payday.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:12 AM
profpam

If you can sow flasks, you might want to purchase seed from
http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com in France.

But, you might try Bletilla striata as it is a fairly hardy orchid and
may grow better in your climate.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html