Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Nancy G.

Default Dish detergent question

I know many recommend using plain old dish detergent to reduce the
surface tension of water when soaking mixes and to aid in the
distribution of oil in water (such as neem), but can the ingredients
and brand contribute to the quality of the mix?

The reason I ask: We do dishes by hand, after purchasing and using dish
soap containing grapefruit seed extract (supposedly to dissolve
grease), ridges in Tim's thumbnails have grown out and and his
thumbnails and cuticles are almost completely smooth. He smashed his
thumbs years ago and the ridges were the result of injury and
subsequent infection, type unknown. I broke my ankle in May, he washed
all the dishes for roughly 3 months using the new detergent. Since I
have been able to stand again, we alternate washing the dishes. As I
said before, his nails have grown out smooth and his cuticles have
resisted splitting as they did in the past.

Is there any chance that using this brand and formula of dish detergent
as a wetting agent, will contribute to the disease resistant quality
of the mix? If so what other applications other than the initial
soaking of mix would also be beneficial?

Before anyone asks, no I don't remember the brand name, just the
grapefruit seed extract information. I'm going to have to get him to
take me to the store where he purchased it and try and buy some more.

Nancy G