Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Nancy G.

Default Dish detergent question

I know many recommend using plain old dish detergent to reduce the
surface tension of water when soaking mixes and to aid in the
distribution of oil in water (such as neem), but can the ingredients
and brand contribute to the quality of the mix?

The reason I ask: We do dishes by hand, after purchasing and using dish
soap containing grapefruit seed extract (supposedly to dissolve
grease), ridges in Tim's thumbnails have grown out and and his
thumbnails and cuticles are almost completely smooth. He smashed his
thumbs years ago and the ridges were the result of injury and
subsequent infection, type unknown. I broke my ankle in May, he washed
all the dishes for roughly 3 months using the new detergent. Since I
have been able to stand again, we alternate washing the dishes. As I
said before, his nails have grown out smooth and his cuticles have
resisted splitting as they did in the past.

Is there any chance that using this brand and formula of dish detergent
as a wetting agent, will contribute to the disease resistant quality
of the mix? If so what other applications other than the initial
soaking of mix would also be beneficial?

Before anyone asks, no I don't remember the brand name, just the
grapefruit seed extract information. I'm going to have to get him to
take me to the store where he purchased it and try and buy some more.

Nancy G

Old 07-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Susan Erickson

On 6 Feb 2005 10:47:12 -0800, "Nancy G."
wrote:

[...]

It is more likely the long soak and softening effect of the wash
up that effected the cuticles. As to the ridges - eventually
they all grow. It may be that he just did not notice the changes
until he was forced into the dish pan and realized his hands were
softening.

Congratulations on the effect, but I am not sure it is worth the
trouble of washing by hand. I also have ridges and this time of
year, my hands dry and crack. Think I will try just the lotion.

Glad to hear your back on your feet. Please do let us know the
brand. Always worth a try if it works without drying.

SuE
Old 07-02-2005, 04:49 AM
Nancy G.

wrote:

[...]

It was AJAX grapefruit

We haven't had a dishwasher for 2 1/2 years. In the last 7 years, we
only had a dishwasher for 2 years. The injury to his thumbs was in
1973. He smashed his thumbs, the clinic drilled them to relieve the
pressure, and he lost the nails completely. When they grew back the
ridges ran across the nails from side to side. When I met him in 1997,
he had an office job and except for his nails, his hands were soft.

It may have been the daily soaking instead of alternating, but I
remember we had gotten that brand because of the smell, in a large size
because of the price. This spring was the first time we had gotten
Ajax grapefruit. Anyway, his hands look great now. That was the only
thing I could think of that had changed.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was indeed any therapeutic effect of
using antibacterial detergent or any of the special formulas as the
wetting agent for the potting mixes or in the foliar sprays with neem
oil. In a way, I guess I answered my own question. Probably won't
hurt, and may very well help.

Thanks, Nancy