Old 08-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Hal

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:02:17 -0500, "kc" wrote:

I really prefer not having a net over the pond, especially when I start
my plants up again--are herons a problem all year round or just in the
winter, does anyone know?

There are lots of opinions on herons, like most things about ponding.
It stands to reason a heron would be more of a threat to a garden pond
during winter here in the South because the fish in the wild are in
deep holes where the water is warmer and their normal food supply is
out of reach of the heron. I think your location might make a
difference, I'm located between two larger (acres large, clay/mud
bottom) and see the herons fly over sometimes. I was cleaned out one
year, but my yard around the pond had nothing but lawn. Now I have
so much junk a heron has no place to land without hitting something
with it's wings. It has been about 5 years since the pond was
cleaned out. I didn't net this year and had no problems, except
having to dip out the leaves the net didn't catch.

Regards,

Hal in Warner Robins