Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
In article
,
says...
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:22:53 GMT, "barbara beardsley"
wrote:

What are the best maters to plant in a 5 gallon bucket? I think all the ones
I have get too big- (Marglobe, Brandywine, Early Cascade, Black Krim, Giant
Belgium) Can any go in a 10 gallon pot? What about cherry maters?
Thanks

Barbara

I should think just about any tomato would do well in a 5 gallon, or
even a bit smaller bucket. They do not need a huge root system in
rich, well fertilized soil with the right moister content.

Yes, it seems to be a big issue of *consistency* with
the watering/moisture. They seem to want just a
certain amount every 1 or 2 days, and EVERY daily cycle
for their whole life.

I found last season to watch for a bucket with drainage
probs (perhaps position, or more likely my sloppiness
with unfinished compost.) They don't like wet feet -
seems to stunt their growth.

Right now, my schedule is one litre per plant, on one-
day-on-one-day-off, then the off-days have a general
hose-down for the whole garden.

My tomatoes are in 20-litre/5-gal buckets, and
everything else is in 10-litre/2.5-gal buckets. They
seem to be reasonably happy, as long as I keep
disciplined with giving them attention.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

If I start cherry tomatoes in a 5Gal pot in the basement how do I
light it ? I'd buy a 4 ft fluorescent grow lamp, put it vertical and
rotate the plant every day. Do I need two lamps

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.