Old 10-02-2005, 09:00 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Dariusz J Michalczyk schreef in berichtnieuws
Thank you guys for your comments. Actually I do not suppose the subspecies

identity of Antiaris is quite essential for me. The tree is mentioned in
"my" book as an example of semilegendary plant, highly toxic due to its
secondary metabolites (phytoncides).

***
Well as with so many things in life, you have to choose:
1) you can have a picture of the semilegendary plant, but only if you have
the right subspecies
2) you can ignore the subspecies, with a good chance you will have a picture
of some other plant, looking differently

In these days of very wide species concepts, what is now a species used to
be a genus. What used to be a species, is now (all too often) a subspecies.
It is nothing out of the ordinary to have substantial differences in
chemical content from one subspecies to the next.

As things are, the subspecies you want will be the most photographed.
It will be the easiest to obtain a picture of.
PvR