Old 08-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Dariusz J Michalczyk

Default photographs wanted: Anthiaris toxicaria, cocoa tree infected with Cocoa Swollen Shoot Virus, (healthy tree?)

Hello everybody,
I am desperately looking for someone who could kindly provide me photographs
of cocoa tree, healthy or (particularly) infected with Cocoa Swollen Shoot
Virus and of Anthiaris toxicaria (upas tree), with permissions for
publication. I am preparing Polish translation of a Russian popular book on
principles of phytopathology. Though focussing on translation, I would like
very much to enhance the appeal of the book by adding some impressive photos
to it.
Therefore, I should greatly appreciate your contribution. Needless to say it
would be gratefully acknowledged in the book.
Looking forward to your generous response,
Dariusz Michalczyk
Department of Plant Physiology and Biotechnology,
University of Warmia and Mazury
ul. Oczapowskiego 1a
10-917 Olsztyn
Poland

Old 08-02-2005, 03:26 PM

In article ,
Dariusz J Michalczyk wrote:
Hello everybody,
I am desperately looking for someone who could kindly provide me photographs
of cocoa tree, healthy or (particularly) infected with Cocoa Swollen Shoot
Virus and of Anthiaris toxicaria (upas tree), with permissions for
publication. I am preparing Polish translation of a Russian popular book on
principles of phytopathology. Though focussing on translation, I would like
very much to enhance the appeal of the book by adding some impressive photos
to it.

If you search Google under "Anthiaris toxicaria" you'll find only a few
hits. The alternative "Antiaris toxicaria" gets you about 1500 hits.
With this spelling you can search Google Images and see 17 images.
Many of these sites are government, academic and tourism organizations,
while others are personal sites. I think you'll be able to find
someone willing to give you permission to use a photo.

The string "cocoa swollen shoot virus" gets about 200 hits and several
images, and includes a link to a bibliography on the disease. The
string "Theobroma cacao" gets about 78,000 hits and 1000 images, but
a lot of these sites are for selling chocolate to consumers, or by
consumers describing their enthusiasm for chocolate.

You may not be aware how much color plates add to the production cost
of a book. You might consider also preparing an electronic version of
the book on CD or for download, or include a link in the text to a site
where the images can be viewed. One of the big benefits of electronic
publishing is that there is little or no extra cost to including many
color images. I realize that suitable computers may not be as widely
available in Poland as in some other countries, but these resources may
be available in schools and libraries.

I hope this helps. If you need technical help in figuring out how to find
the owners of images you are interested in, or how to contact authors of
papers whom you think may have useful images, you can probably find a local
(over)enthusiastic undergrad to assist you!

Old 08-02-2005, 06:02 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Dariusz J Michalczyk wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am desperately looking for someone who could kindly provide me photographs
of cocoa tree, healthy or (particularly) infected with Cocoa Swollen Shoot
Virus and of Anthiaris toxicaria (upas tree), with permissions for
publication. I am preparing Polish translation of a Russian popular book on
principles of phytopathology. Though focussing on translation, I would like
very much to enhance the appeal of the book by adding some impressive photos
to it.

schreef

If you search Google under "Anthiaris toxicaria" you'll find only a few
hits. The alternative "Antiaris toxicaria" gets you about 1500 hits.
With this spelling you can search Google Images and see 17 images.
Many of these sites are government, academic and tourism organizations,
while others are personal sites. I think you'll be able to find
someone willing to give you permission to use a photo. []

***
Actually, you may want to take special care to get the right subspecies.
Not too long ago (as such things go) the genus counted four species, but it
is all one species now, meaning that if you just take any picture you can
get, you may have something significantly different from the upas tree
PvR

Old 09-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Dariusz J Michalczyk

Thank you guys for your comments. Actually I do not suppose the subspecies
identity of Anthiaris is quite essential for me. The tree is mentioned in
"my" book as an example of semilegendary plant, highly toxic due to its
secondary metabolites (phytoncides). Anyway, I am going to compare anything
I can get to the images I found in the Internet (though I did not get any
publication permission so far; I wrote twice to author of the photograph
that I liked most, but he/she either checks the mailbox very rarely or is
not interested in getting in touch with me). I am buying the idea of trying
out various spelling variants of Anthiaris. I do understand photos can
painfully raise the book's price and publishing in the Internet is another
option. I am publishing my lectures on plant tissue culture in the net. But
the book for which I need these photos is meant to be a very popular, handy
and attractive introduction to phytopathology and for this purpose
traditional paper book format seems better suited.
With kind regards,
Dariusz

Old 10-02-2005, 03:46 AM
mel turner

"Dariusz J Michalczyk" wrote in message
[...]

With regard to Antiaris, there's evidently not a lot online.

A Google Image search turns up

http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/asi...tories/arrows/

with

http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/2754-popup.html

as a pretty good painting of Antiaris

and
http://www.forestry.sarawak.gov.my/f...ra/pp/ipoh.htm

also has a drawing of a twig.

http://wildasia.net/main/photo.cfm?photoID=99
has a photo of a large trunk in habitat

http://www.xlrdzwy.com/page/redaizhenxibinweizhiwu.htm

has a smaller large sapling

http://www.losn.com.cn/hjbh/plant/moraceae/1-111.htm

evidently shows Antiaris seeds and seedlings.

As for Theobroma swollen shoot virus, both

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/cocoa/cssv.htm
and
http://www.chocolateandcocoa.org/Lib...ollenshoot.asp

use the same image of an infected tree.

http://www.dropdata.net/cocoa/cocoa_prob.htm

has a close-up of a swollen twig

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showdpv.php?dpvno=10 should be useful:

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showfig.php?dpvno=10&figno=03

shows stem swellings

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showfig.php?dpvno=10&figno=01

and

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showfig.php?dpvno=10&figno=02

show affected leaves

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showfig.php?dpvno=10&figno=04

shows affected roots of cacao seedlings

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showfig.php?dpvno=10&figno=06

show an affected pod

http://www.dpvweb.net/dpv/showfig.php?dpvno=10&figno=05

show the virus particles under TEM

If any of the above fit your needs, you should of course next try to
get in contact with the owners of the images in question for
their permission to reuse them.

cheers

Old 10-02-2005, 09:00 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Dariusz J Michalczyk schreef in berichtnieuws
Thank you guys for your comments. Actually I do not suppose the subspecies

identity of Antiaris is quite essential for me. The tree is mentioned in
"my" book as an example of semilegendary plant, highly toxic due to its
secondary metabolites (phytoncides).

***
Well as with so many things in life, you have to choose:
1) you can have a picture of the semilegendary plant, but only if you have
the right subspecies
2) you can ignore the subspecies, with a good chance you will have a picture
of some other plant, looking differently

In these days of very wide species concepts, what is now a species used to
be a genus. What used to be a species, is now (all too often) a subspecies.
It is nothing out of the ordinary to have substantial differences in
chemical content from one subspecies to the next.

As things are, the subspecies you want will be the most photographed.
It will be the easiest to obtain a picture of.
PvR

Old 10-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Dariusz J Michalczyk

Hi Mel,
I really did search the Internet myself, still some of the links you sent me
are a revelation!
Thank you very much. Please keep your fingers crossed so that I get the
permissions
With kind regards,
Dariusz

Użytkownik "mel turner" napisał w
wiadomo¶ci ...

Old 10-02-2005, 04:11 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Dariusz J Michalczyk schreef
Hi Mel,
I really did search the Internet myself, still some of the links you sent

me are a revelation!

---
http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/2754-popup.html

as a pretty good painting of Antiaris

***
That is a pretty classic picture, from the Rumphia by Blume, no less
PvR