Old 11-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Fishy

Heron season? What season? I've discovered that once a heron finds
your pond, he's always there, just waiting for his chance. I hadn't
seen ours in months. The pond finally thawed out. At dusk, what to my
wandering eyes should appear but a heron, standing in the middle of my
pond. I dashed to the basement to grab me net and flew like a spaz out
the door to bash plastic anchors into the frozen shore in the growing
dark. Of course, that night, the pond froze back over. Now, the net
can't be removed to get in (yes, I was meaning to get in this weekend)
unless it warms up a little more.

I have maybe half a dozen big (I mean 8+") goldfish left out of the 30
some that I had just this time last year. The heron got my oldest and
biggest goldfish, 10-14" last spring before I finally netted it. The
heron found my pond about a year ago, not having bothered with it from
1997 to 2003 at all except to stand next to it longingly (but never got
into until last year). Stupid me, if you'd asked me a year ago, I'd
have said my pond was heron-proof. Now, it's their playground (yes, we
had a loving pair).

Robyn
fishpondinfo.com