Old 11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
paghat

In article , Ann
wrote:

"Leon Trollski" expounded:

BTW are there any comments or experience on Tulipa Kaufmanniana or Greigii?

I've had them both, they're lovely, but like their overbred cousins
they don't last long. The kaufmanniana's were around for four years
or so, the other for maybe two years longer.

The wild kaufmanniana is fully fertile, naturalizes well, returns year
after year, produces attractive seed-pods. I have a happy little patch of
them, & they're just as showy as the hybridized kaufmannianas. So far as I
know most of the others also perennialize but do not all naturalize in the
self-seeding sense. With the explosion of new cultivars in recent years, I
am not surprised if they are becoming less capable of fully perennializing
as they get further & further from their botanical origin; but the few
varieties I possess do come back every year (but some are only in their
second or third year in the garden & I may be disappointed in them in the
future if Ann is right -- but the unhybridized wild ones, which if I
recall I got from Oddyssey bulbs, those were the first kaufmannianas I
ever planted, & they have never disappointed).

The greigii I've had the longest is 'Red Riding Hood' & when I dug those
up to move them after their first location got too shady over time, I had
dozens of bulbs where I'd planted very few, & right now there are greigii
leaves popping up in the old location because I couldn't find all the
bulblets two years ago (I doubt those will ever flower, it's now even
darker in that location with shrubs growing so much). I was under the
impression most greigiis produce offsets easily, but I haven't as yet
lifted any of the others to see for myself. They all seem at least to have
fully perennialized, except for one patch that I tried for drought
tolerance in a xeriscape location & they did lousy, cooked right in the
soil. The rest have yet to disappoint. Several (if not most?) of the
greigiis produce seedpods too, but do not grow true from seeds. I can't
just now recall if any of mine ever had seed pods though, I failed to jot
that down in my garden diary-database if they did, & my memory doesn't
hold everything like it once seemed to.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he