Old 10-02-2005, 06:00 AM
junkyardcat

Default Oops..I did it again....

Planted a bunch of different bulbs in the early Fall...didn't mark them, and
now I have beautiful greenery coming up, but can't for the life of me
remember what I planted!

Should be a very interesting Spring, LOL! Maybe I should invest in some
cheap plant markers?

Angie

Old 10-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Britney Spears has entered the garden!!!

That's right. You were too busy breaking Jason Alexander's heart to worry
about mundane things like plant labels!!!

Old 10-02-2005, 03:39 PM
madgardener

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
Planted a bunch of different bulbs in the early Fall...didn't mark them,

and
now I have beautiful greenery coming up, but can't for the life of me
remember what I planted!

Should be a very interesting Spring, LOL! Maybe I should invest in some
cheap plant markers?

Angie

I tend to deliberately forget what I've planted because the faeries move

the bulbs around on me anyway......I mean, it HAS to be them because I don't
remember planting those THERE, ya know what I mean? gbseg
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English
Mountain (with Winter reeeeaaallly trying to come back, despite the Spring
insistance), in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 PM
mleblanca

You can call them "faeries" Maddie, but I call them GOPHERS!
Emilie

Old 10-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Leon Trollski

"madgardener" wrote in message

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
Planted a bunch of different bulbs in the early Fall...didn't mark them,

and
now I have beautiful greenery coming up, but can't for the life of me
remember what I planted!

Should be a very interesting Spring, LOL! Maybe I should invest in some
cheap plant markers?

Angie

I tend to deliberately forget what I've planted because the faeries move

the bulbs around on me anyway......I mean, it HAS to be them because I

don't
remember planting those THERE, ya know what I mean? gbseg
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English
Mountain (with Winter reeeeaaallly trying to come back, despite the Spring
insistance), in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

I plant in drifts, and sketch them out on paper as I go. I also leave a
small tag in the ground for each drift.
Do you plan out the appearance in your head to any level?

BTW are there any comments or experience on Tulipa Kaufmanniana or Greigii?

Old 10-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Vox Humana

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
Planted a bunch of different bulbs in the early Fall...didn't mark them,

and
now I have beautiful greenery coming up, but can't for the life of me
remember what I planted!

Should be a very interesting Spring, LOL! Maybe I should invest in some
cheap plant markers?

The foliage of different types of spring flowering bulbs is distinctive.
You should be able to tell the difference between the tulips, daffodils,
crocus, hyacinth, etc. almost immediately after they start to emerge. The
color of the flowers is a different story.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Ann

"Leon Trollski" expounded:

BTW are there any comments or experience on Tulipa Kaufmanniana or Greigii?

I've had them both, they're lovely, but like their overbred cousins
they don't last long. The kaufmanniana's were around for four years
or so, the other for maybe two years longer.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
paghat

In article , Ann
wrote:

"Leon Trollski" expounded:

BTW are there any comments or experience on Tulipa Kaufmanniana or Greigii?

I've had them both, they're lovely, but like their overbred cousins
they don't last long. The kaufmanniana's were around for four years
or so, the other for maybe two years longer.

The wild kaufmanniana is fully fertile, naturalizes well, returns year
after year, produces attractive seed-pods. I have a happy little patch of
them, & they're just as showy as the hybridized kaufmannianas. So far as I
know most of the others also perennialize but do not all naturalize in the
self-seeding sense. With the explosion of new cultivars in recent years, I
am not surprised if they are becoming less capable of fully perennializing
as they get further & further from their botanical origin; but the few
varieties I possess do come back every year (but some are only in their
second or third year in the garden & I may be disappointed in them in the
future if Ann is right -- but the unhybridized wild ones, which if I
recall I got from Oddyssey bulbs, those were the first kaufmannianas I
ever planted, & they have never disappointed).

The greigii I've had the longest is 'Red Riding Hood' & when I dug those
up to move them after their first location got too shady over time, I had
dozens of bulbs where I'd planted very few, & right now there are greigii
leaves popping up in the old location because I couldn't find all the
bulblets two years ago (I doubt those will ever flower, it's now even
darker in that location with shrubs growing so much). I was under the
impression most greigiis produce offsets easily, but I haven't as yet
lifted any of the others to see for myself. They all seem at least to have
fully perennialized, except for one patch that I tried for drought
tolerance in a xeriscape location & they did lousy, cooked right in the
soil. The rest have yet to disappoint. Several (if not most?) of the
greigiis produce seedpods too, but do not grow true from seeds. I can't
just now recall if any of mine ever had seed pods though, I failed to jot
that down in my garden diary-database if they did, & my memory doesn't
hold everything like it once seemed to.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 12-02-2005, 01:00 AM
madgardener

ain't no gopher around these here beds too much, I have five cats and two
dawgs nosing around all the time (Piquito, Polluxx and Pest are great game
kitties for the skurrying critters) g I'm sure I lose a few or some get
moved a little by Chip and Dale, but most of them live in the woods and
pastures and give this little holler and gardens a wide berth because of the
skulking felines....
maddie
"mleblanca" wrote in message
ups.com...
You can call them "faeries" Maddie, but I call them GOPHERS!
Emilie

[IMG] code is On

oops.. Sheila United Kingdom 5 30-03-2009 10:25 AM
Did I get compost or did I get ripped off? [email protected] Gardening 10 08-11-2005 09:01 PM
Time to rest oops REBEL JOE Ponds 0 30-06-2003 04:32 PM
Pelargonium potting questions - Oops! Victoria Clare United Kingdom 0 19-06-2003 10:44 AM