Old 11-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Martin Brown

boing wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply Mike, I can understand what you are saying
but I couldn't keep to anything like twice a week for mowing. Thats one
of the problems I have, by the time I see the weeds they have spread
from the edge of the grass into my boarders.
I'm thinking if I get the black stuff down, turf it and get a year
without these buggers I can then assess it. I can always peel the turf
up and take the black stuff away then re-lay the turf in a few hours.
Just don't want the truf to die on me :-)

It surely will die if you put black weed fabric underneath it.

It really isn't that hard to take a bad lawn and make it good again. Use
appropriate weed & feed at the right time of year, sow some grass seed
in the obvious dead bits and a lawn can be as good as new in 6 weeks.

Cutting once a week will do at a pinch to suppress weeds. If you want a
decent lawn you have to work at it. You can't lay expensive turf and
expect it to stay alive if you are too bone idle to look after it!

These instant gratification effect buy & die garden makeover shows have
a lot to answer for. Improve your garden - bury a Titchmarsh!

Regards,
Martin Brown