Old 11-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Martin Brown

boing wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply Mike, I can understand what you are saying
but I couldn't keep to anything like twice a week for mowing. Thats one
of the problems I have, by the time I see the weeds they have spread
from the edge of the grass into my boarders.
I'm thinking if I get the black stuff down, turf it and get a year
without these buggers I can then assess it. I can always peel the turf
up and take the black stuff away then re-lay the turf in a few hours.
Just don't want the truf to die on me :-)

It surely will die if you put black weed fabric underneath it.

It really isn't that hard to take a bad lawn and make it good again. Use
appropriate weed & feed at the right time of year, sow some grass seed
in the obvious dead bits and a lawn can be as good as new in 6 weeks.

Cutting once a week will do at a pinch to suppress weeds. If you want a
decent lawn you have to work at it. You can't lay expensive turf and
expect it to stay alive if you are too bone idle to look after it!

These instant gratification effect buy & die garden makeover shows have
a lot to answer for. Improve your garden - bury a Titchmarsh!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 PM
boing

Blimey bad day Martin ? or member of the Assumptions Soc.?

Grass seed ? I've done it and I've paid someone to do it who told me it
was the only way to go. Thats was two lawns ago.

Bone idle ? I expect you do your gardening in the dark then ?, I don't
have to explain my self to you but for long times I am away working.

Titchmarsh ? Yes I watched that last week from an hotel room at 3am in
the morning.

I'm sure the are people on here who are a bit more open minded then
you. I don't wish to continue this with you as I'm sure you'll get on
to imigration sooner of later.

Old 13-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Martin Brown

boing wrote:
Blimey bad day Martin ? or member of the Assumptions Soc.?

Grass seed ? I've done it and I've paid someone to do it who told me it
was the only way to go. Thats was two lawns ago.

Bone idle ? I expect you do your gardening in the dark then ?, I don't
have to explain my self to you but for long times I am away working.

Then your choices are limited to paying someone else to cut the lawn
regularly for you or not having a lawn but something else instead.

There is no way to have a zero maintenance lawn. Although you can keep
one in pretty good nick by a couple of applications of weed and feed a
year and regular cutting (at least every 2 weeks) against just about
anything.

Titchmarsh ? Yes I watched that last week from an hotel room at 3am in
the morning.

I'm sure the are people on here who are a bit more open minded then
you. I don't wish to continue this with you as I'm sure you'll get on
to imigration sooner of later.

Don't seek to tarnish me with your own Little Englander prejudices.
The UK would grind to a standstill without immigrant labour.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Newbie question: how do I "top-dress" a lawn? Gil Pius North Carolina 3 29-11-2013 07:59 AM
Feeding during BGA blackout? Ross Vandegrift Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-12-2004 07:49 AM
72-Hour Blackout Cure for Algae is Rubbish blank Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 13-10-2004 02:57 PM
Top dressing a lawn PJZ Gardening 7 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
Top Dressing a 30,000 SQFT Lawn Chris Lawns 5 21-06-2003 05:32 PM