Old 12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Rabbits, deer, goats, whatever herbivores you have in your area.

You can be sure all the wild critters are very hungry this time of year and
they won't stick around when you are looking for them.

Put chicken wire cages over your plants.

"Charles Sullivan" wrote in message
news
Location: Central North Carolina

I have several beds of pansies which are being nibbled
by some critter. Within a couple of days of initial
planting, all the blossoms were gone and signs of the
tips of the leaves being chewed were evident.

About 50% of the plants were replaced and sprayed with a
repellent which is supposed to be effective for rabbits
and deer (the latter unlikely in this neighborhood) but
the same thing happened to the replacements. The plants
aren't chewed down to the ground immediately but bit-by-bit
over the space of a couple of weeks.

I'd heard about a soil fungus which can attack pansies, so
I covered one bed with 0.5 inch mesh net supported on poles.
That one bed is in much better shape than the others, which
are by now chewed down almost to the ground.

I look out at the beds several times each day but never see
any critters about, not even birds on the ground. (I've got
a couple of potted sedums which were gradually pecked away by
birds over the summer.)

Any ideas?

Regards,
Charles Sullivan