Old 13-02-2005, 10:49 AM
dusty

"Phalguy" wrote in
:

Hello!

I have wooden shelve ( $50.00 at Ikea ), 6 shoplight ( $15.00 each 4
X 48 inches )
Don`t spend too much money ! I covered three side and the top with
heavy clear plastic. I`m using a digital timer ( $5.00 )
If you want to see a picture of my installation go to:
www.picturetrail.com/phalguy and click on the album!

Claude

"Barry Dmytro" wrote in message
| In the last few months my orchid collection has been suffering from a
| lack of light. I spent some time putting them in different spots
| throughout the house with no effect. I have made up my mind that the
| best solution is to get a plant light self of some sort.
|
| I found a few of interest at
| http://dansgardenshop.com/inplanligsta.html
|
| I liked '6-Tray/3-Tier Light Cart With 6 Fluorescent Lamp' the best,
| but before I go and invest $500 into something like this I though I
| should get the opinions of others that have done the same.
|
| Some considerations that may sway me away from this one is that it'd
| be
nice
| to have one with a timer to turn on and off the lights. Also I'm not
| sure if it is big enough to house some of my larger plants. I have
| one
Cymbidium
| that has leaves going nearly 2 feet high (he sadly is one of the most
| effected by lack of light)
|
| Oddly enough I had no problems with light last winter and am not sure
| what is different causing the problem, but I must find a solution. I
| end asking any one for any advice regarding plant light stands.
| --
| Barry Dmytro

http://badcherry.org/

Nice light set up but (there's always someone with a but isn't there)
2 shop lights per shelf is fine for Phals but a lot of other orchids like
more light.
I used 48" fluorescent strip lights from Lowes (ST240RS) they don't have
the reflectors like the shop lights and you can stack them side by side 4
or 5 wide giving you 8 to 10 lamps per shelf. These are a bit more
expensive than the shop lights $16 to $19 each and you need to put a power
cord on them. You'll need a cord clamp for a half inch knock out and some
yellow wire nuts. Shopping my local used computer store I pick up computer
power cords for $1 each. Wiring them is pretty straight forward just match
the colors of green black and white. Use one cheap timer per shelf . I grow
and bloom Cattleyas Dendrobiums, Phals, Oncidiums, and other miscellaneous
plants & orchids under these. Does not work for Vandas, as I found they
will grow but won't bloom.
Note if you use more than one shelf you will have to use 2 inch foam board
to protect each upper shelf from the heat generated by the lamps below. Use
the pink or blue kind as with the white you'll end up with bits of foam
everywhere.
To see how I did it go to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids look for a picture
for berry.