Old 12-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Barry Dmytro

Default Plant Lights

In the last few months my orchid collection has been suffering from a lack
of light. I spent some time putting them in different spots throughout the
house with no effect. I have made up my mind that the best solution is to
get a plant light self of some sort.

I found a few of interest at http://dansgardenshop.com/inplanligsta.html

I liked '6-Tray/3-Tier Light Cart With 6 Fluorescent Lamp' the best, but
before I go and invest $500 into something like this I though I should get
the opinions of others that have done the same.

Some considerations that may sway me away from this one is that it'd be nice
to have one with a timer to turn on and off the lights. Also I'm not sure
if it is big enough to house some of my larger plants. I have one Cymbidium
that has leaves going nearly 2 feet high (he sadly is one of the most
effected by lack of light)

Oddly enough I had no problems with light last winter and am not sure what
is different causing the problem, but I must find a solution. I end asking
any one for any advice regarding plant light stands.
--
Barry Dmytro

http://badcherry.org/
Old 12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Phalguy

Hello!

I have wooden shelve ( $50.00 at Ikea ), 6 shoplight ( $15.00 each 4 X 48
inches )
Don`t spend too much money ! I covered three side and the top with heavy
clear plastic. I`m using a digital timer ( $5.00 )
If you want to see a picture of my installation go to:
www.picturetrail.com/phalguy and click on the album!

Claude

http://badcherry.org/

Old 13-02-2005, 10:49 AM
dusty

"Phalguy" wrote in
:

Hello!

I have wooden shelve ( $50.00 at Ikea ), 6 shoplight ( $15.00 each 4
X 48 inches )
Don`t spend too much money ! I covered three side and the top with
heavy clear plastic. I`m using a digital timer ( $5.00 )
If you want to see a picture of my installation go to:
www.picturetrail.com/phalguy and click on the album!

Claude

"Barry Dmytro" wrote in message
| In the last few months my orchid collection has been suffering from a
| lack of light. I spent some time putting them in different spots
| throughout the house with no effect. I have made up my mind that the
| best solution is to get a plant light self of some sort.
|
| I found a few of interest at
| http://dansgardenshop.com/inplanligsta.html
|
| I liked '6-Tray/3-Tier Light Cart With 6 Fluorescent Lamp' the best,
| but before I go and invest $500 into something like this I though I
| should get the opinions of others that have done the same.
|
| Some considerations that may sway me away from this one is that it'd
| be
nice
| to have one with a timer to turn on and off the lights. Also I'm not
| sure if it is big enough to house some of my larger plants. I have
| one
Cymbidium
| that has leaves going nearly 2 feet high (he sadly is one of the most
| effected by lack of light)
|
| Oddly enough I had no problems with light last winter and am not sure
| what is different causing the problem, but I must find a solution. I
| end asking any one for any advice regarding plant light stands.
| --
| Barry Dmytro

http://badcherry.org/

Nice light set up but (there's always someone with a but isn't there)
2 shop lights per shelf is fine for Phals but a lot of other orchids like
more light.
I used 48" fluorescent strip lights from Lowes (ST240RS) they don't have
the reflectors like the shop lights and you can stack them side by side 4
or 5 wide giving you 8 to 10 lamps per shelf. These are a bit more
expensive than the shop lights $16 to $19 each and you need to put a power
cord on them. You'll need a cord clamp for a half inch knock out and some
yellow wire nuts. Shopping my local used computer store I pick up computer
power cords for $1 each. Wiring them is pretty straight forward just match
the colors of green black and white. Use one cheap timer per shelf . I grow
and bloom Cattleyas Dendrobiums, Phals, Oncidiums, and other miscellaneous
plants & orchids under these. Does not work for Vandas, as I found they
will grow but won't bloom.
Note if you use more than one shelf you will have to use 2 inch foam board
to protect each upper shelf from the heat generated by the lamps below. Use
the pink or blue kind as with the white you'll end up with bits of foam
everywhere.
To see how I did it go to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids look for a picture
for berry.

Old 13-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Bob Walsh

Barry,

How big an area do you have for growing or do you have to stack on shelves.
If you can spread "out" maybe one of the metal halide or high pressure
sodium lights would work.

Bob

Old 13-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Bob Walsh

Doug,

I use all three.
Some of my orchids like a little less light than the MH and HPS put out.

Bob
"Doug" wrote in message
I started with florescents. Eventually replaced them with a 400 watt metal
halide. Now I have 2 mh. Won't go back to florescents.

Doug Bolton

Old 14-02-2005, 03:15 PM
dusty

"Bob Walsh" wrote in
:

Barry,

How big an area do you have for growing or do you have to stack on
shelves. If you can spread "out" maybe one of the metal halide or high
pressure sodium lights would work.

Bob

At one time I was thinking of changing to MH figuring it would save on
electric because everyone said they where so much brighter. I went over to
Worms way with my light meter and what I found is to cover the same area
with about the same light would require about the same wattage and more
space.(height) the MH only had a slight gain of 150 Fc compaired to my
current setup. However the one thing I don't have is space. Also the MH
was, for me, outrageously pricey even at Hummert wholesale seed co.

Grow well and bloom magnificently
Old 14-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Rob Halgren

dusty wrote:

At one time I was thinking of changing to MH figuring it would save on
electric because everyone said they where so much brighter. I went over to
Worms way with my light meter and what I found is to cover the same area
with about the same light would require about the same wattage and more
space.(height) the MH only had a slight gain of 150 Fc compaired to my
current setup. However the one thing I don't have is space. Also the MH
was, for me, outrageously pricey even at Hummert wholesale seed co.

Grow well and bloom magnificently

The downside may be that you require more height, although the upside
is... height... I can't count the number of inflorescences I burned up
in the fluorescent light tubes. I don't think MH lights are for
everybody though. And my paphs (seedlings at least) seemed to do better
under fluorescents than MH.
You could try to find a used fixture. They are around for not much money.

Rob

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 16-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Barry Dmytro

Barry Dmytro wrote:

[...]

I went to the hardware store this weekend keeping in mind the advice that
you all offered, and built a rather nice setup for a grand total of $140.
That includes the timer and everthing. Thank you all for the advice
concerting this matter. You all helped me a great deal!

Now I just have to see how much my plants like their new home...

--
Barry Dmytro

http://badcherry.org/