Old 13-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"GreenFingers" wrote

There are entomopathogenic nematodes for sale on almost every
gardenening site, but do they actually work?

Has anyone undertaken a study to show that leatherjackets, chafergrubs,
slugs etc.. are actually killed by these natural worms? If they are so
effective, then how come we have any wildlife left alive!!?

[image: http://www.just-green.com/uploads/im...ducts/122.jpg]

We have a serious problem on our allotments with ground dwelling slugs and
used Nemaslug on our potato bed last year. It's quite expensive, only lasts
6 weeks so needs redoing, and didn't seem to have any effect at all. We
still lost a significant proportion of the crop (and planted slug resistant
varieties). Waste of money as far as we are concerned.
I presume these nematodes aren't native and that's why they need
re-applying: is it that it's too cold here for them to survive and breed?

--
Regards
Bob