Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Default Do nematodes really work?

There are entomopathogenic nematodes for sale on almost every gardenening site, but do they actually work?

Has anyone undertaken a study to show that leatherjackets, chafergrubs, slugs etc.. are actually killed by these natural worms? If they are so effective, then how come we have any wildlife left alive!!?

http://www.just-green.com/uploads/im...oducts/122.jpg
Old 12-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Graham Harrison

I've used Nemaslug in two different gardens and, yes, they seem to work.
They don't get rid of every single slug but they reduced the numbers
significantly for me. The effect seems to be cumulative and starting early
in the year seems to help.
"GreenFingers" wrote in
message .. .

[image: http://www.just-green.com/uploads/im...ducts/122.jpg]

--
GreenFingers

Old 13-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Broadback

Graham Harrison wrote:

I've used Nemaslug in two different gardens and, yes, they seem to work.
They don't get rid of every single slug but they reduced the numbers
significantly for me. The effect seems to be cumulative and starting early
in the year seems to help.
"GreenFingers" wrote in
message .. .

There are entomopathogenic nematodes for sale on almost every
gardenening site, but do they actually work?

Has anyone undertaken a study to show that leatherjackets, chafergrubs,
slugs etc.. are actually killed by these natural worms? If they are so
effective, then how come we have any wildlife left alive!!?

[image: http://www.just-green.com/uploads/im...ducts/122.jpg]

--
GreenFingers

Why do you have to keep applying them, why don't they breed and stay
useful and active?
Old 13-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"GreenFingers" wrote

There are entomopathogenic nematodes for sale on almost every
gardenening site, but do they actually work?

Has anyone undertaken a study to show that leatherjackets, chafergrubs,
slugs etc.. are actually killed by these natural worms? If they are so
effective, then how come we have any wildlife left alive!!?

[image: http://www.just-green.com/uploads/im...ducts/122.jpg]

We have a serious problem on our allotments with ground dwelling slugs and
used Nemaslug on our potato bed last year. It's quite expensive, only lasts
6 weeks so needs redoing, and didn't seem to have any effect at all. We
still lost a significant proportion of the crop (and planted slug resistant
varieties). Waste of money as far as we are concerned.
I presume these nematodes aren't native and that's why they need
re-applying: is it that it's too cold here for them to survive and breed?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 14-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Sally Holmes

Graham Harrison wrote:
I've used Nemaslug in two different gardens and, yes, they seem to
work. They don't get rid of every single slug but they reduced the
numbers significantly for me. The effect seems to be cumulative and
starting early in the year seems to help.

Does anyone know how far slugs and snails roam? I have a small garden about
30' square. If my neighbours don't use nematodes, is there any point in me
doing so? If my slugs and snails are all killed off, won't next door's just
slime over to enjoy the feast?

Sally

Old 14-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Graham Harrison

I wondered the same thing. All I can say is that both of the gardens I
used them on seemed to benefit. One was a small garden that came with a
1980s "2up, 2 own" and the other with a 50's semi that was significantly
larger.

Old 14-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Holmes
Does anyone know how far slugs and snails roam? I have a small garden about
30' square. If my neighbours don't use nematodes, is there any point in me
doing so? If my slugs and snails are all killed off, won't next door's just
slime over to enjoy the feast?

Sally
Common sense must prevail here.... How many slugs do you find in the soil area/volume that is covered by a dose of nematodes? How many nematodes come in to contact with a slug and then kill it? I don't think these nematodes have detection devices that enable them to track down slugs .. do you?

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Really, really O/T - you're back Anne Lurie Ponds 1 27-09-2003 05:12 PM
Really really sandy soil dommy United Kingdom 25 30-08-2003 11:02 AM
Ground Ivy REALLY, REALLY bad this year... Tom Randy Gardening 2 16-07-2003 06:04 AM
Glue really really really works? rtk Ponds 0 27-04-2003 12:08 PM