Old 13-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Shagster

Thanks Rick. I'm feeding my fish, sparingly, about 2-3 times per week.
It's definitely not food.. And from the looks of coating within the Diatom,
it appears to be dark-brownish... So I'll assume that's dying off green
algae... Ugh, maybe once the algae problem is cleaned up, I can attempt to
use my diatom powder again.

Thanks,
Troy

"Rick" wrote in message

"Shagster" wrote in message
Hello,

I have recently added a Diatom filter to my 29 gallon tank.. The output

of
the diatom pumps through a Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer. Although the
Diatom
works FANTASTIC, it clogs within 2-3 days.. That's a little too much
maintenance for me.. Right now, I'm running the diatom without the
diatom
media, and basically using it as a pump to drive my UV sterilizer...

Does anyone have any "interesting" ways they've dealt with fast clogging
diatom??? Would using 1/2 the amount of media help?? I would like to
get
2-3 weeks run-time before having to clean this filter...

My tank also has a Fluval 203 canister filter...

Thanks,
Troy

if it is clogging up in 2-3 days then you either have a serious green
water
problem or the filter is sucking in a lot of fish food. I have a Vortex Xl
that I can easily run for a week 24-7 but then again I don't have a
serious
green water issue. I would put a coarse prefilter over the intake to
eliminate large particles from getting into the Vortex. I use a Turbo
Twist
unit every now and again and simply use a powerhead with filter floss for
prefilter but don't run it continuously.

Rick