Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Shagster

Default Diatom clogging help?

Hello,

I have recently added a Diatom filter to my 29 gallon tank.. The output of
the diatom pumps through a Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer. Although the Diatom
works FANTASTIC, it clogs within 2-3 days.. That's a little too much
maintenance for me.. Right now, I'm running the diatom without the diatom
media, and basically using it as a pump to drive my UV sterilizer...

Does anyone have any "interesting" ways they've dealt with fast clogging
diatom??? Would using 1/2 the amount of media help?? I would like to get
2-3 weeks run-time before having to clean this filter...

My tank also has a Fluval 203 canister filter...

Thanks,
Troy

Old 10-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Margolis

that is what diatom filters do. They are for polishing the water and
getting the extremely fine particles that regular filters can miss. If
they are working properly they will clog up in just a couple of days.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Does anyone have any "interesting" ways they've dealt with fast clogging
diatom??? Would using 1/2 the amount of media help?? I would like to get
2-3 weeks run-time before having to clean this filter...

You can place a sponge filter (sock) over the intake. This will
prefilter out your larger particles.
I usually run mine for 24 hr. and by then the water is crystal clear.
You will also get a biofilm buildup after a day or so and this will
also speed up you filter clogging, so I don't think you will be able
to get more than a couple of days out of a charge.
If you are using a lot of media, consider buying it in 50 lb. bags
from your local Spa and Hot-tub supplier.

take care.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Rick

"Shagster" wrote in message
Hello,

I have recently added a Diatom filter to my 29 gallon tank.. The output

of
the diatom pumps through a Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer. Although the Diatom
works FANTASTIC, it clogs within 2-3 days.. That's a little too much
maintenance for me.. Right now, I'm running the diatom without the diatom
media, and basically using it as a pump to drive my UV sterilizer...

Does anyone have any "interesting" ways they've dealt with fast clogging
diatom??? Would using 1/2 the amount of media help?? I would like to get
2-3 weeks run-time before having to clean this filter...

My tank also has a Fluval 203 canister filter...

Thanks,
Troy

if it is clogging up in 2-3 days then you either have a serious green water
problem or the filter is sucking in a lot of fish food. I have a Vortex Xl
that I can easily run for a week 24-7 but then again I don't have a serious
green water issue. I would put a coarse prefilter over the intake to
eliminate large particles from getting into the Vortex. I use a Turbo Twist
unit every now and again and simply use a powerhead with filter floss for a
prefilter but don't run it continuously.

Rick

Old 13-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Shagster

Thanks Rick. I'm feeding my fish, sparingly, about 2-3 times per week.
It's definitely not food.. And from the looks of coating within the Diatom,
it appears to be dark-brownish... So I'll assume that's dying off green
algae... Ugh, maybe once the algae problem is cleaned up, I can attempt to
use my diatom powder again.

Thanks,
Troy