Old 13-02-2005, 08:29 PM
shazzbat

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , ashnook
wrote:

If you want your fence to outlive you then I would always use concrete

posts
rather than wooden ones, more expensive initially but worth the extra in
terms of longevity.

Ugly, though. Give me timber every time. At least it's organic and can
claim to be in harmony with the landscape... unless you live under a
flyover.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned metposts yet. These are a steel socket
which the fence post slots into. They are expensive to originally install
but much less trouble later. You don't have to dig out a huge lump of
concrete every few years, and the disruption to the garden is minimal. They
come in types which have lugs/flanges in the socket which grip the post, or
ones with a bolt so it can be tightened onto the post.

I acquired a mixed bag of them quite by chance some years ago, and they have
each outlasted several posts.

Steve