Old 14-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 9 Feb 2005 13:55:34 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:

If I start cherry tomatoes in a 5Gal pot in the basement how do I
light it ? I'd buy a 4 ft fluorescent grow lamp, put it vertical and
rotate the plant every day. Do I need two lamps

You don't have to start them in the 5 gallon containers, you can start
them in anything from a small peat pot to a disposable plastic
drinking cup. I like the 3' Jiffy Strips or the 16 oz plastic cups
myself. There's enough root room in each cup or peat cell for the
plant to get off to a good start, and I only have to transplant them
once. When they're 6 weeks old or so, I either put them in the garden
or in a larger container.

Smaller containers mean more can fit under a single Gro-Light or
florescent light. Since space seed starting space is limited at my
house (we don't have basements in the midlands of South Carolina
the water table is too high), smaller containers means I can get more
seeds started early.

Penelope