Old 15-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Christina Cameron wrote:
I would recommend Pseudosasa Japonica. It is quite fast-growing,

8-10
feet tall, slim green culms and mid-sized leaves (around 8-10"). It
is also one of the best bamboos for growing in moderately

waterlogged
soils (most dislike "wet feet"). It can become invasive but you can
prevent this by sinking hard plastic sheet 9-12" deep around the
bamboo at planting time (or use cut-off plastic drums etc).

As a matter of interest, does this barrier technique cause the plants
problems in later life on this small scale? I ask because they are
pretty much surface-rooting, and wonder if they get overcrowded and
short of nutrition.

Mike.

Not realy, they nearly always break out :~)
Bamboo does make an excellent hedge or tree substitute though as it has a
definate height above which it never grows (according to species) My
particular favourite is Phylostachys vivax Aurea.
I would recommend making a substantial barrier between neighboring propeties
but to allow spread forwards and just cut it off from time to time.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk