Old 14-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Rick

Default HELP-Bamboo Hedge- What Plant?

Can any of the subscribers offer some advice as to the name of a
Bamboo plant that I can grow like a hedge and act as a screen between
my neighbours and myself.

The length of the hedge need only run two linear yards, have narrow
stems, dense evergreen leaves and be pleasant to look at if kept to a
height of approximately eight foot.

The location will receive plenty of sun and be reasonably drained but
not dry as the soil at 3 feet below the surface is clayey.

Many Thanks

Rick
Old 15-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Christina Cameron

I would recommend Pseudosasa Japonica. It is quite fast-growing, 8-10 feet
tall, slim green culms and mid-sized leaves (around 8-10"). It is also one
of the best bamboos for growing in moderately waterlogged soils (most
dislike "wet feet"). It can become invasive but you can prevent this by
sinking hard plastic sheet 9-12" deep around the bamboo at planting time (or
use cut-off plastic drums etc).
Christina

m...

Old 15-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Mike Lyle

Christina Cameron wrote:
I would recommend Pseudosasa Japonica. It is quite fast-growing,

8-10
feet tall, slim green culms and mid-sized leaves (around 8-10"). It
is also one of the best bamboos for growing in moderately

waterlogged
soils (most dislike "wet feet"). It can become invasive but you can
prevent this by sinking hard plastic sheet 9-12" deep around the
bamboo at planting time (or use cut-off plastic drums etc).

As a matter of interest, does this barrier technique cause the plants
problems in later life on this small scale? I ask because they are
pretty much surface-rooting, and wonder if they get overcrowded and
short of nutrition.

Mike.

Old 15-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Christina Cameron wrote:
I would recommend Pseudosasa Japonica. It is quite fast-growing,

8-10
feet tall, slim green culms and mid-sized leaves (around 8-10"). It
is also one of the best bamboos for growing in moderately

waterlogged
soils (most dislike "wet feet"). It can become invasive but you can
prevent this by sinking hard plastic sheet 9-12" deep around the
bamboo at planting time (or use cut-off plastic drums etc).

As a matter of interest, does this barrier technique cause the plants
problems in later life on this small scale? I ask because they are
pretty much surface-rooting, and wonder if they get overcrowded and
short of nutrition.

Mike.

Not realy, they nearly always break out :~)
Bamboo does make an excellent hedge or tree substitute though as it has a
definate height above which it never grows (according to species) My
particular favourite is Phylostachys vivax Aurea.
I would recommend making a substantial barrier between neighboring propeties
but to allow spread forwards and just cut it off from time to time.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Rick

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message ...
Christina Cameron wrote:
I would recommend Pseudosasa Japonica. It is quite fast-growing,

8-10
feet tall, slim green culms and mid-sized leaves (around 8-10"). It
is also one of the best bamboos for growing in moderately

waterlogged
soils (most dislike "wet feet"). It can become invasive but you can
prevent this by sinking hard plastic sheet 9-12" deep around the
bamboo at planting time (or use cut-off plastic drums etc).

As a matter of interest, does this barrier technique cause the plants
problems in later life on this small scale? I ask because they are
pretty much surface-rooting, and wonder if they get overcrowded and
short of nutrition.

Mike.

Many Thanks for your advice Christina.

Regards Rick.

Clumping Large 20foot Hedge Bamboo mully1999 Bamboo 8 08-07-2012 12:07 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Bamboo as hedge? Lar Bamboo 6 25-02-2004 06:28 PM
Good Seattle hedge bamboo/suppliers? Jeff Dantzler Bamboo 6 05-08-2003 06:32 PM
Bamboo as a hedge in containers Andr0meda Bamboo 5 23-03-2003 06:20 PM