Old 17-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" writes:
| Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes - they were
| an early-fruiting variety ('Glen Magna' if memory serves) which promised a
| crop in the first year (even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
| year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
| a larger crop the following year).

That is complete nonsense. If you can remember the source, regard
everything it says as probably wrong.

| I waited with anticipation, looking
| forward to my first crop of organically home-grown rasperries to puree for
| sauce for my homemade organic vanilla ice cream. Well, I'm still waiting. To
| date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it. The
| canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
| suddenly undergo a miraculous ressurection, but I fear it isn't going to
| happen.

They almost certainly are dead and, unfortunately, it is possible that
any others you plant will die, too. It is well worth another go but,
if that fails, too, I would give up. It isn't possible to judge the
cause of the failure on the evidence you give, but there is no trick
to raspberry growing.

What is your soil like, where do you live, and what aspect did you
plant them in?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.