Old 17-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default Can 'dead' raspberry canes be revived?

Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes - they were
an early-fruiting variety ('Glen Magna' if memory serves) which promised a
crop in the first year (even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
a larger crop the following year). I waited with anticipation, looking
forward to my first crop of organically home-grown rasperries to puree for
sauce for my homemade organic vanilla ice cream. Well, I'm still waiting. To
date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it. The
canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
suddenly undergo a miraculous ressurection, but I fear it isn't going to
happen.

I want to have another go - could someone point me to Raspberry Growing for
Dummies? Although I am on the edge of the Chilterns, the soil here is sandy.
What conditions do they prefer? They are down the bottom of the garden, up
against the fence that divides us from next-door. I tried to prepare the
soil as best I could (my sister has a horse so, if anyone in the Chilterns
area wants any manure I'm sure an arangement could be reached). Someone
suggested blood and bonemeal but I have to say I didn't get any - should I
have done? I really rather fancy growing a mix of red and yellow ones this
time - Dobies have 'All Gold' at £10.95 for 5 canes and 'Joan J' for £9.95
for the same amount. The latter has a four month fruiting period. The
fruiting period for 'All Gold' isn't stated.

But, before I outlay any more, can I revive what I have? They certainly look
dead but, as I am a thicky when it comes to all things both
horti-and-agricultural, I am hoping that there might be a slim chance they
could be coaxed back into some kind of life. Raspberries are my favourites -
and I think they're maligned as people appear to prefer strawberries. I do
not - give me a bowl of (organic) raspberries and (organic) cream any day!
--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Old 17-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" writes:
| Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes - they were
| an early-fruiting variety ('Glen Magna' if memory serves) which promised a
| crop in the first year (even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
| year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
| a larger crop the following year).

That is complete nonsense. If you can remember the source, regard
everything it says as probably wrong.

| I waited with anticipation, looking
| forward to my first crop of organically home-grown rasperries to puree for
| sauce for my homemade organic vanilla ice cream. Well, I'm still waiting. To
| date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it. The
| canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
| suddenly undergo a miraculous ressurection, but I fear it isn't going to
| happen.

They almost certainly are dead and, unfortunately, it is possible that
any others you plant will die, too. It is well worth another go but,
if that fails, too, I would give up. It isn't possible to judge the
cause of the failure on the evidence you give, but there is no trick
to raspberry growing.

What is your soil like, where do you live, and what aspect did you
plant them in?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-02-2005, 03:28 PM
jane

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:37:59 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

~Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes - they were
~an early-fruiting variety ('Glen Magna' if memory serves) which promised a
~crop in the first year (even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
~year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
~a larger crop the following year). I waited with anticipation, looking
~forward to my first crop of organically home-grown rasperries to puree for
~sauce for my homemade organic vanilla ice cream. Well, I'm still waiting. To
~date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it. The
~canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
~suddenly undergo a miraculous ressurection, but I fear it isn't going to
~happen.

They probably are indeed dead, then. I read Amateur Gardening and
Anne Swithinbank has had similar problems with raspberries recently.
Damp autumns don't help.

~I want to have another go - could someone point me to Raspberry Growing for
~Dummies? Although I am on the edge of the Chilterns, the soil here is sandy.
~What conditions do they prefer? They are down the bottom of the garden, up
~against the fence that divides us from next-door. I tried to prepare the
~soil as best I could (my sister has a horse so, if anyone in the Chilterns
~area wants any manure I'm sure an arangement could be reached). Someone
~suggested blood and bonemeal but I have to say I didn't get any - should I
~have done? I really rather fancy growing a mix of red and yellow ones this
~time - Dobies have 'All Gold' at £10.95 for 5 canes and 'Joan J' for £9.95
~for the same amount. The latter has a four month fruiting period. The
~fruiting period for 'All Gold' isn't stated.

For rasps to do well, they like acid, well drained and shady
conditions. However with enough mulching with manure etc, you can get
them to grow reasonably happily in alkaline conditions, though the
canes (once established!) don't last as many years.

For summer raspberries:
You need to get your canes and spread out the fibrous roots on top of
a shallow (2-3", 5-8cm) trench which has been prepared with well
rotted manure and is upto a foot (30cm) wide. Cover up the roots and
firm the canes in, then cut the stems back down to the ground. Any
canes growing in the first year will be the fruiting canes for the
following season, so just make sure the ground doesn't dry out but
isn't waterlogged either.

For autumn rasps, plant in the same fashion, cut down to the ground
and keep your fingers crossed that you might get a few berries in Y 1.
These fruit on the current year's growth so fruit later in the season.
Though as AG said last week, you can cheat. Leave your autumn
raspberry canes through the winter and instead of pruning them down to
the ground after they've died back, only prune the tops off down to
where there were no fruits. These stumps will fruit the following
June, while the main canes are growing, and so you'll get continuous
fruiting all season from one lot of canes. But they did say to beware
- the cane lifetime is again shortened.

~But, before I outlay any more, can I revive what I have? They certainly look
~dead but, as I am a thicky when it comes to all things both
~horti-and-agricultural, I am hoping that there might be a slim chance they
~could be coaxed back into some kind of life. Raspberries are my favourites -
~and I think they're maligned as people appear to prefer strawberries. I do
~not - give me a bowl of (organic) raspberries and (organic) cream any day!

I'd lose them and plant more if you can manage it. Preferably away
from the original site in case there was anything influencing their
demise where they had been. Best chance for this year is the autumn
ones. Here I can recommend Joan J thoroughly - have had them a couple
of seasons now and they grow like crazy. Though only 10 of my dozen
grew. I've got oodles of jam from last year as I ran out of freezer
space... on top of the Glen Amples I have for early cropping!

All Gold is a sport of Autumn Bliss, so is late season.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 17-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Broadback

Jane wrote:

For rasps to do well, they like acid, well drained and shady
conditions. However with enough mulching with manure etc., you can get
them to grow reasonably happily in alkaline conditions, though the
canes (once established!) don't last as many years.

I have had wonderful raspberries for several years from canes against a
South facing wall. Which proves nothing, except shows that nature goes
her own sweet way. :-)
Old 17-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Rod

wrote:

Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes - they were
an early-fruiting variety ('Glen Magna' if memory serves) which promised a
crop in the first year (even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
a larger crop the following year). I waited with anticipation, looking
forward to my first crop of organically home-grown rasperries to puree for
sauce for my homemade organic vanilla ice cream. Well, I'm still waiting. To
date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it. The
canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
suddenly undergo a miraculous ressurection, but I fear it isn't going to
happen.

Jane's post pretty well has it covered. All I can usefully add is that
you should check the pH of your soil - Chilterns in my head = chalk
(alkaline conditions, i.e pH 7.0) so if your tests confirm this you
will need to add copious amounts of well rotted organic material,
manure, garden compost etc but not mushroom compost - that contains
chalk. Also if you apply artificial fertilisers them let the
nitrogenous component be something like Ammonium Sulphate which tends
to acidify the soil.
Not too keen on the All Gold but Joan J is about as good as autumn
fruiting rasps get.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 23-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Gary

On 2/17/05 4:37 AM, in article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes -

snip

(even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
a larger crop the following year).

Not true. Eat away!

To date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it.

When you see that water the plants...and give them a top dressing of manure
or compost and water it in.

The canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
suddenly undergo a miraculous resurrection, but I fear it isn't going to
happen.

Last years canes are dead and should be removed. New growth out of the
ground will provide fruit next year. Do you see any new growth on the
ground? If so that is a good sign that they are still alive.

the soil here is sandy.

Your soil probably needs lots of manure...or compost...
What conditions do they prefer?

Lots of manure and ample water.

They are down the bottom of the garden, up
against the fence that divides us from next-door.

Is it a south facing fence? If so, and you have a sandy soil...lack of
water.

I tried to prepare the
soil as best I could (my sister has a horse so, if anyone in the Chilterns
area wants any manure I'm sure an arrangement could be reached). Someone
suggested blood and bone meal

I haven't used blood and bone meal and don't think you will need any either.
Just use the horse manure. Use lots of it. It is free and free is good.

but I have to say I didn't get any - should I
have done? I really rather fancy growing a mix of red and yellow ones this
time - Dobies have 'All Gold' at £10.95 for 5 canes and 'Joan J' for £9.95
for the same amount. The latter has a four month fruiting period. The
fruiting period for 'All Gold' isn't stated.

Read below...

But, before I outlay any more, can I revive what I have? They certainly look
dead but, as I am a thicky when it comes to all things both
horti-and-agricultural, I am hoping that there might be a slim chance they
could be coaxed back into some kind of life. Raspberries are my favourites -
and I think they're maligned as people appear to prefer strawberries. I do
not - give me a bowl of (organic) raspberries and (organic) cream any day!

I Love Raspberries: These are my suggestions and ideas:
You can eat any and all raspberries produced by a plant. No advantage to
leaving on. If your berries are small and dried out then they need two
things moisture and food. You said you have sandy soil so that makes me
think that your plants died from a lack of water. So this is what I would
do.
1. Prepare the whole bed by adding copious amounts of aged or raw manure.
Dig it all in and make sure it is Œblended¹ with the soil. This should be
fairly easy to do if you have sandy soil. This manure will do two things,
help to hold the moisture and provide food for the worms and the plants. I
would dig a trench on both sides (if possible) of the raspberry row and fill
with the rawest manure you can find...horse manure is good. I have used
chicken porridge...right out of the egg barn...it sure does smell! No, that
is not true, the nose smells...chicken porridge stinks! Cover the
trenches with the soil that was removed.
2. Why buy plants when you could find someone who has an established bed and
trade horse manure (or W.H.Y.) for some of the many suckers they are sure to
have. Just dig up root and all...if the soil falls off the roots don't worry
about it. Just keep the roots covered so they don't dry out. They are a
tough plant and will take lots of abuse.
3. The roots of raspberries travel outwards under the surface and will soon
find the manure in the trenches. To help getting them started, a top
watering with manure tea will help immensely. Over dilute the tea spread on
the plants several times. This will prevent burning the new plant. Or if
after applying you think the tea may have been too strong just dilute by
watering with water.
Some have said that raspberries prefer the shade. I prefer to grow them in
full sun otherwise the plants reach for the sun and become leggy.
Good luck
Gary

revived clematis Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 1 27-08-2012 07:26 PM
Raspberry Canes Kim Bewick United Kingdom 1 07-03-2004 01:06 PM
raspberry canes R United Kingdom 10 10-04-2003 08:44 AM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM