Old 17-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Nick Gray

"David" wrote in message
Thanks, Nick. I like your suggestion re the cuttings. Any special

technique
for getting the cuttings to establish , or do you just "stick them in the
ground"?
regards,
David

Hi David,

During the autumn tidy up, I take a small branch, from this seasons growth,
about the thickness of a pencil. Cut just below a bud and then just above a
bud so the cutting is about 12-18' long. Remove any leaves to stop the
cutting getting blown around by the wind. Then I just stick them in the
ground, burying them to two thirds their length, then gently firm the soil
around them.

Plant more cuttings than you'll eventually need, it's easier to move growing
plants, than have to wait another year to try again.

BTW. My hedge is in free draining soil and is south-facing, so I've got
pretty good conditions. If you've got heavy soil or if the cuttings are
going to be in shade, you might be better off starting them in another area
of the garden or in pots.

HTH

Cheers

Nick