Old 16-02-2005, 12:33 PM
David

Default Beech Hedge overgrown

Hi,
There is a beech hedge at the bottom of my garden which has not been
properly maintained (doesn't belong to me). The hedge is some 20 odd feet
high and 90 ft long. The problem is that the growth is mostly in the top
half with the bottom being mainly trunks (some up to 6"). Yesterday I spent
trimming back the overhanging branches and whilst doing this I wondered if I
could "graft" some branches back onto the main trunks and re-establish
growth back toward the bottom? Would it be worth attempting and if so how
would I go about it?

regards,

David

Old 16-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Nick Gray

"David" wrote in message
Hi,
There is a beech hedge at the bottom of my garden which has not been
properly maintained (doesn't belong to me). The hedge is some 20 odd feet
high and 90 ft long. The problem is that the growth is mostly in the top
half with the bottom being mainly trunks (some up to 6"). Yesterday I

spent
trimming back the overhanging branches and whilst doing this I wondered if

could "graft" some branches back onto the main trunks and re-establish
growth back toward the bottom? Would it be worth attempting and if so how
would I go about it?

regards,

David

Hi David,

I had the same problem with my 200ft long x 12ft high beech hedge when I
moved into my house. Over the years I've gradually been reducing the height
each year, and pruning (with secatuers and loppers) any outwardly pointing
branches back to a sideways or vertical facing branch or bud. The hedge
responds by growing buds on the trunk, which are again pruned back to
sideways and vertical facing buds once they are long enough.

The best time to prune/renovate is now and then give it a tidy up in the
autumn.

After 5 years, I've now got quite dense growth for the whole height of a 8ft
high hedge.

The other thing that I did was to take some of the clippings and stick them
in the ground, to fill some spaces.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 17-02-2005, 02:21 PM
David

Thanks, Nick. I like your suggestion re the cuttings. Any special technique
for getting the cuttings to establish , or do you just "stick them in the
ground"?
regards,
David

Old 17-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Nick Gray

"David" wrote in message
Thanks, Nick. I like your suggestion re the cuttings. Any special

technique
for getting the cuttings to establish , or do you just "stick them in the
ground"?
regards,
David

Hi David,

During the autumn tidy up, I take a small branch, from this seasons growth,
about the thickness of a pencil. Cut just below a bud and then just above a
bud so the cutting is about 12-18' long. Remove any leaves to stop the
cutting getting blown around by the wind. Then I just stick them in the
ground, burying them to two thirds their length, then gently firm the soil
around them.

Plant more cuttings than you'll eventually need, it's easier to move growing
plants, than have to wait another year to try again.

BTW. My hedge is in free draining soil and is south-facing, so I've got
pretty good conditions. If you've got heavy soil or if the cuttings are
going to be in shade, you might be better off starting them in another area
of the garden or in pots.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 18-02-2005, 10:40 AM
David

Thanks Nick. I've got a patch away from the hedge where I will have a go and
see if I can get them to take first,
regards,

David

Old 18-02-2005, 10:58 AM
David

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Just like posting messages to newsgroups. Please edit and don't
top-post. There's a weekly post called abc for newcomers to urg ..

Outlook user and lazy yes, newcomer no! So should have known better. Now am
away to dust down Forte Agent again!!

David

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
Beech hedge Steve Jackson United Kingdom 3 12-05-2003 02:11 PM
Beech Hedge - Pruning and Cuttings David United Kingdom 1 16-04-2003 09:32 AM