Old 20-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill

It will cost you about 25 dollars for a bag of premium, organic fertilizer, but
that same amount can buy you a cubic yard of compost and that will ultimately be
much better for the sod in the long run.

For sod to be healthy it needs a few things. A nice layer of loosened soil, to
a depth of no less than 4 inches, with as much organic matter as you can
provide. This increases the water holding capacity of the soil, but at the same
time makes capillary water more available to the root hairs. Tight clay soils
have water in them, but many times the water is not available because it is held
tightly to the clay particulate.

I never heard of aphids eating turf the way you described. Can you better
describe what these insects looked like, and how many you saw? I'm just rather
curious.

Thanks all for replying. I was told by the guy from the county that is
what they were. He no I saw any, but he said they were all over the
area. LI'd like to know what they look like also.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I never heard of aphids attacking a lawn either. Take a look at these sites for some helpful info on how to prep your soil, lay your sod and take care of it organically.

http://www.garden.org/articles/scrip...;subch=default
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TUR.../staugust.html
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/turfSpecies...armFrames.html
http://www.theorganicreport.com/page...ucontentID=436
http://216.109.89.116/backyardwildli...rganiclawn.cfm
http://www.members.tripod.com/~Garde.../index-11.html

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.