Old 19-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Bill

Default Laying sod next week. I think it's fun???

Next week I will be laying 400 sq. feet of St. Augustine sod in the
front half of my front yard.

The soil is good. The previous section had been devoured by Aphids,
which I have eliminated.

To or not to fertilze the dirt prilor to laying the sod, that is the
qusstion?

Bill

Old 19-02-2005, 01:43 AM
BillandJeny

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:23:58 GMT, Bill
wrote:

Next week I will be laying 400 sq. feet of St. Augustine sod in the
front half of my front yard.

The soil is good. The previous section had been devoured by Aphids,
which I have eliminated.

To or not to fertilze the dirt prilor to laying the sod, that is the
qusstion?

Bill

If your soil is sandy I wouldn't do it. Each time you water or it
rains the nutrients from the fertilizer is only going to leach deeper
and farther away from the roots and the roots that do come in direct
contact with the fertilizer may burn. I don't know about clay soils
but I would expect the possibility of root burn would still exist.

zhan
Old 19-02-2005, 02:28 AM
AuthorAlexander

I laid centepede sod last year, my soil is extremely sandy, tilled it
up and added some clay soil, leveled it all out raked it, applied
fertilizer, raked it in applied a little spray of water the night
before to help settle it some, laid it the next day, rolled it firmly
in contact with soil and it took off a is doing great.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:43:19 GMT, BillandJeny
wrote:

===On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:23:58 GMT, Bill
===wrote:
===
[...]

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Old 19-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Bill

It will cost you about 25 dollars for a bag of premium, organic fertilizer, but
that same amount can buy you a cubic yard of compost and that will ultimately be
much better for the sod in the long run.

For sod to be healthy it needs a few things. A nice layer of loosened soil, to
a depth of no less than 4 inches, with as much organic matter as you can
provide. This increases the water holding capacity of the soil, but at the same
time makes capillary water more available to the root hairs. Tight clay soils
have water in them, but many times the water is not available because it is held
tightly to the clay particulate.

I never heard of aphids eating turf the way you described. Can you better
describe what these insects looked like, and how many you saw? I'm just rather
curious.

Thanks all for replying. I was told by the guy from the county that is
what they were. He no I saw any, but he said they were all over the
area. LI'd like to know what they look like also.

Thanks again,

Bill

Old 19-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Cereus-validus.....

KINKY!!!!

Are you planning to sodomize your yard all day long?

Be sure to wear protection.

You don't want to get soil borne diseases (SBD)!!!

Old 20-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill

[...]

Hi Bill,

I never heard of aphids attacking a lawn either. Take a look at these sites for some helpful info on how to prep your soil, lay your sod and take care of it organically.

http://www.garden.org/articles/scrip...;subch=default
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TUR.../staugust.html
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/turfSpecies...armFrames.html
http://www.theorganicreport.com/page...ucontentID=436
http://216.109.89.116/backyardwildli...rganiclawn.cfm
http://www.members.tripod.com/~Garde.../index-11.html

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.