Old 20-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Ian Keeling

Default Shade tolerant hedge, screen or climber

I am looking for suggestions for a plant for a hedge/screen in a rather
awkward spot. The problem is a passageway which runs more or less
north-south between two houses. So it receives no direct sun at all. I also
imagine that the passage will act as a funnel for wind! An impossible task?

I would be tempted to give up on this spot, but it's rather a key location,
as it's immediately opposite the dining room window. So I'd like to create a
prospect which is a little less uninspiring than the current view of an
ill-maintained and very unsightly 8' fence.

Ideally I would want to find something which is either free standing or can
be grown on a trellis in front of the fence (the fence itself is on the
neighbouring property and I understand that its maintenance has been the
cause of some dispute, which I'd rather not get too involved with).
Fast-growing would be good, too! I'm not desperately keen on ivies, except
for the variegated forms (which, of course are likely to lose their
variegation in this shady position).

I've read that Pyracantha "Golden Sun" is supposed to be good in deep shade,
but I fear the wind might be a problem.

Any suggestions at all?!