Old 20-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ian Keeling wrote:

I am looking for suggestions for a plant for a hedge/screen in a rather
awkward spot. The problem is a passageway which runs more or less
north-south between two houses. So it receives no direct sun at all. I also
imagine that the passage will act as a funnel for wind! An impossible task?

Yes and no. If it gets enough light and rain, then there is no
problem. Otherwise ....

How wide, long and high is the gap? And where are you, and why did
you mention the wind?

Fast-growing would be good, too! I'm not desperately keen on ivies, except
for the variegated forms (which, of course are likely to lose their
variegation in this shady position).

A 'fedge' is definitely your best bet, and there are lots of plausible
climbers that might do. If there is enough space, there are some fairly
good narrow shrubs - I grow Chaenomeles speciosa "Nivalis" in a place
that gets no direct sun, and it does well and flowers well.

I've read that Pyracantha "Golden Sun" is supposed to be good in deep shade,
but I fear the wind might be a problem.

I doubt that it is! I doubt that the wind would be a problem, but the
thorns might be.

Ivy (and I mean Hedera helix) is pretty well the only evergreen climber
that is both really hardy in the UK and tolerate of deep shade; I have
heard mixed reports on H. colchica, but cannot speak from experience.

I have grown all of Akebia quinata, Lonicera periclymenum and Clematis
vitalba in darkish conditions, but the last definitely doesn't do much
until it reaches brighter ones.

If you have enough room, don't forget the low-growing plants. There
are a LOT of woodland plants that are very shade-tolerant indeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.