Old 20-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Ian Keeling

Yes and no. If it gets enough light and rain, then there is no
problem. Otherwise ....

How wide, long and high is the gap? And where are you, and why did
you mention the wind?

Light may well be a problem. The gap is widish - maybe 10' between the house
and fence and perhaps the same distance between the fence and the
neighbouring house. But it's a long gap and the houses are not small. I
mentioned the wind, because it might be a significant factor for Pyracantha
"Golden Sun". The location is London suburbs, so there are unlikely to be
many severe frosts (but it's not the warmest position!)

Ivy (and I mean Hedera helix) is pretty well the only evergreen climber
that is both really hardy in the UK and tolerate of deep shade; I have
heard mixed reports on H. colchica, but cannot speak from experience.

I have grown all of Akebia quinata, Lonicera periclymenum and Clematis
vitalba in darkish conditions, but the last definitely doesn't do much
until it reaches brighter ones.

Thanks - some interesting suggestions. Akebia looks like a good contender -
seems to spread pretty well, which could be useful.

If you have enough room, don't forget the low-growing plants. There
are a LOT of woodland plants that are very shade-tolerant indeed.

Thanks - I have lots of favourite shrubs and low growing plants for shade in
mind (Sarcococca, Ruscus, Iris foetidissima, etc.) - the big problem is the
height of this fence, so really want a fairly vigorous climber/hedge...
Perhaps Aucuba japonica f. longifolia would do (though I haven't seen it
recommended for full shade).