Old 21-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Jim Lewis

On 21 Feb 2005 at 12:22, Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

In a message dated 2/21/2005 8:50:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

FWIW, at the urging of Jim Smith, I did a total cut off of the bottom
trunk
and roots on a Ficus (salicifolia, 'Jim Smith '89) with a 4 1/2"
trunk. Used a chainsaw. (In New Jersey, last August).

I have seen Jim Smith do this lots of times and some of our club
members did it during a demo on Sat. (With trees provided by Jim Smith.) BUT, there
is a big difference between Ficus salicifolia (nerifolia) and Ficus
benjaminia "Rianne."

AND there's a big difference between the east coast of Florida
and somewhere where there's still a lot of snow on the ground
where I suspect you could never do it at any time of year.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++