Old 21-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Ficus Rianne root pruning

In a message dated 2/20/2005 11:26:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have a Ficus rianne

I think this is a cultivar of Ficus benjaminia and requires the same
warning. If you remove all leaves from a branch, the branch will die.

http://www.bonsaisite.com/fatfig.html

This is a site from Australia using a different variety of Ficus and in a

tropical climate. For him the tree is a native species. He is also using a
seedling.

I thought the pre-spring would be
good time as the plant would be dormant but it seems to be showing a
lot of growth (best in some time) and is far from dormant.

A tropical such as this Ficus don't ever go truly dormant.

- Any other tips on performing this procedure?

I doubt it will work and I would try it on a less valuable plant first.

The goal is to create a "large" Ficus with a thick trunk and aerial roots.

Buy one, what you want is very hard to do indoors up north. The large
trunk Ficus you see were grown outdoors in tropical climates either in large
pots or in the ground.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 21-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Bart Thomas

Billy,

FWIW, at the urging of Jim Smith, I did a total cut off of the bottom trunk
and roots roots on a ficus (salicifolia, 'Jim Smith '89) with a 4 1/2"
trunk. Used a chainsaw. (In New Jersey, last August).

I simply repotted the tree in its regular potting soil (volcanic), put it in
a shady spot, and made sure that it NEVER got the least bit dry. (I tied the
tree down firmly in the pot to avoid any movement within the pot.)

The tree never even lost a leaf. In fact, not even a leaf showed any sign of
distress.

So, I would say that it can be done, but this is definitely NOT the time to
do it.

Not for the faint of heart!

As I recall, I posted the process in the old gallery at about that time.
Can't find that now.

Regards,

Bart

Ficus root pruning Jim Bonsai 3 21-02-2005 04:49 PM
[IBC] Very young Ficus, repot w/ or w/o root pruning? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 13-04-2004 11:35 AM
Very young Ficus, repot w/ or w/o root pruning? John Bonsai 0 12-04-2004 10:05 PM
[IBC] ficus rianne Carl L Rosner Bonsai 1 26-12-2003 03:32 PM
ficus rianne XdjipsterX Bonsai 1 26-12-2003 03:02 PM