Old 22-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Elaine T

I3 I L L wrote:
I want to give his stuff a try but unclear on which formula to buy.
What is the difference between PMDD Pre-Mix and CSM+B Plantex? Should I
get both? All I currently use is flourish and some iron tabs.

You got me curious since I've never heard of the products. I'm
impressed! Here's what's in CSM plantex from his site.

Plantex CSM is the recommended source for micronutrients ... Contains:
1.5% Magnesium (MG), 1.5% Magnesium (cheleted), 0.10% Copper (Cu), 7.0%
Iron (Fe - cheleted), 2.0% Maganese (Mn - Cheleted), 0.06% Molybedenum
(MO), and 0.40% Zinc (Zn - cheleted).

Plantex CSM+B has added boron and to make a complete micronutrient
fertilizer, Greg says to mix Plantex CSM+B 1:1 with magnesium sulfate so
you'll need to buy both. I can't believe how cheap it is - I think I'm
going to switch to this when I've used up my Kent fertilizers.

PMDD pre-mix has 1 part Potassium Nitrate, 1 part Potassium Sulfate, 1
part Magnesium Sulfate, 1 part Plantex CSM+B. So it is a near-complete
fertilizer and provides macronutrients as well as trace elements. The
only thing missing is phosphate, so you'd have to watch that.

What you use depends on the amount of nitrate and phosphate in your
tank. If you're running near zero nitrate, get the PMDD pre-mix. If
there's plenty of nitrate and phosphate in your tanks (for example, 15
ppm nitrate comes for free in my tapwater), you might blend your own
version of PMDD with the Plantex CSM+B, potassium sulfate, and magnesium
sulfate.

HTH, and thanks for pointing out a great source for bulk fertilizers!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__