Old 22-02-2005, 09:10 PM
jedi

"John Thomas" wrote in message ...
That seems like a lot of money for a plastic bucket- I couldn't tell if
you get anything else with it. Does it come with plants and/or a pump?

I was going to try something like a container pond this spring myself,
using a 20 gallon pot that used to be home to a red-legged frog and some
ferns. After its been cleaned, lined, and I've caulked in the pump cord
through the drainage hole, that is. My quarantine tank is currently home
to 3 white clouds, some $0.10 feeder fish I didn't have the heart to
kill, and a couple of plants my Apple Snail likes to mow on... once it's
set up with some cultured gravel, I think the whole thing will have
taken me about 10 hours and $20 (including liner for the pottery) A
plain old small fountain pump with a sponge on the intake is around $10.

P.S. Enjoy your posts in the piscean groups

I have a large pot (they used it in China for shipping food - must measure
18"X20") that I have used as a water garden on the back porch. This year I
wanted to see if I could overwinter a tropical water lily so I half emptied
it, with help of dear spouse lifted inside back door on to a wooden thingy
with wheels, rolled it next to full length window, filled it with water,
done. The water lily is still alive. The duck weed and mosquito fish are
thriving. It has been a real treat to have it this winter. Every year I
swear I'm not going to overwinter the plants I have in pots outdoors and
every year I end up bringing most of them in. This is the only thing that I
have no regrets for having done so. I don't know how easy it is to get very
large planters without holes where you are but they work very nicely for
water gardens. Just don't ever put them directly on a wood floor because no
ceramic piece is entirely sealed to water. Even if it doesn't leak in any
noticeable way it will pass enough water to ruin wood. If this is too heavy
for you they make resin planters that also make nice water gardens.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0006IIX1Y