Old 12-02-2005, 02:03 AM
Elaine T

Default Anyone tried a Pop-up pond?

Has anyone tried one of these for a water garden?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...N=62728+113357

Just wondering whether it holds up well and is as attractive as it looks
in the picture. It looks perfect to set by the front door with a dwarf
lily or lotus and some taller marginals.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 12-02-2005, 09:11 PM
John Thomas

That seems like a lot of money for a plastic bucket- I couldn't tell if
you get anything else with it. Does it come with plants and/or a pump?

I was going to try something like a container pond this spring myself,
using a 20 gallon pot that used to be home to a red-legged frog and some
ferns. After its been cleaned, lined, and I've caulked in the pump cord
through the drainage hole, that is. My quarantine tank is currently home
to 3 white clouds, some $0.10 feeder fish I didn't have the heart to
kill, and a couple of plants my Apple Snail likes to mow on... once it's
set up with some cultured gravel, I think the whole thing will have
taken me about 10 hours and $20 (including liner for the pottery) A
plain old small fountain pump with a sponge on the intake is around $10.

P.S. Enjoy your posts in the piscean groups
Old 13-02-2005, 03:52 PM
southernbc

Hi Elaine,

I have one and they are NOTHING Like the picture. I ended up placing
stumps all the way around to stop the thing from collapsing and filling
up to the top with bark mulch and it looks OK now but I do not recommend
the pop up pond.

Don Mann - southernbc

Old 13-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Elaine T

Elaine T wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these for a water garden?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...N=62728+113357

Just wondering whether it holds up well and is as attractive as it
looks in the picture. It looks perfect to set by the front door with
a dwarf lily or lotus and some taller marginals.

Thanks. I thought it looked too good to be true.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 15-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Cichlidiot

southernbc wrote:
I have one and they are NOTHING Like the picture. I ended up placing
stumps all the way around to stop the thing from collapsing and filling
up to the top with bark mulch and it looks OK now but I do not recommend
the pop up pond.

Are you sure you got the real deal and not an accidental swap with
something else like a half-barrel liner? Happens sometimes. I ask because
a local pet store had a PopUp Pond set up last year and it looked pretty
much the same as the picture on the box. They did have spillage problems,
but they said those were mostly due to humans (particularly children) and
animals bumping or tipping a top edge. Such would be a danger with any
flexible system not contained inside a rigid shell though.

Old 15-02-2005, 03:01 PM
southernbc

The thing has to be set dead level to work at all and when "leakage"
occurs it goes down to the bottom. Whatever the slight distubance is
caused by (dog kids etc.....) I don't think I would want a self emptying
pond on my deck would you.

Don

Old 22-02-2005, 09:10 PM
jedi

"John Thomas" wrote in message ...
That seems like a lot of money for a plastic bucket- I couldn't tell if
you get anything else with it. Does it come with plants and/or a pump?

I was going to try something like a container pond this spring myself,
using a 20 gallon pot that used to be home to a red-legged frog and some
ferns. After its been cleaned, lined, and I've caulked in the pump cord
through the drainage hole, that is. My quarantine tank is currently home
to 3 white clouds, some $0.10 feeder fish I didn't have the heart to
kill, and a couple of plants my Apple Snail likes to mow on... once it's
set up with some cultured gravel, I think the whole thing will have
taken me about 10 hours and $20 (including liner for the pottery) A
plain old small fountain pump with a sponge on the intake is around $10.

P.S. Enjoy your posts in the piscean groups

I have a large pot (they used it in China for shipping food - must measure
18"X20") that I have used as a water garden on the back porch. This year I
wanted to see if I could overwinter a tropical water lily so I half emptied
it, with help of dear spouse lifted inside back door on to a wooden thingy
with wheels, rolled it next to full length window, filled it with water,
done. The water lily is still alive. The duck weed and mosquito fish are
thriving. It has been a real treat to have it this winter. Every year I
swear I'm not going to overwinter the plants I have in pots outdoors and
every year I end up bringing most of them in. This is the only thing that I
have no regrets for having done so. I don't know how easy it is to get very
large planters without holes where you are but they work very nicely for
water gardens. Just don't ever put them directly on a wood floor because no
ceramic piece is entirely sealed to water. Even if it doesn't leak in any
noticeable way it will pass enough water to ruin wood. If this is too heavy
for you they make resin planters that also make nice water gardens.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0006IIX1Y

Old 23-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Elaine T

jedi wrote:
[...]

Cool! I'm sure I could silicone a hole closed if I can't find one
without. I'll see if my local target has anything like this. I'm also
still thinking of a half-barrel because I like how they look. It's
actually been so rainy lately that I'm not really inclined to do
anything outside.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__