Old 23-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Stephen Henning

"Paulo" wrote:

I was thinking to plant a rhododendron close to some austrian pines.
I have an elevated space that receive some sun in the afternoon,
maybe 3 hours. Because the proximity (2 ft) from this pine the soil
is covered with the needles I thought could be a good option (acidic
soil). I think I should work the soil deep to be sure it is good
enough for the rhododendrons.
Do you think this could work? Any other option for such a location?

You have several things going against you. Rhododendrons are shallow
rooted and can't compete with roots from other plants. You would have
to prepare the planting site by digging a shallow hole, chopping out any
pine roots, and putting in a barrier to keep the pine roots out. Sounds
like a lot of work. Then the rhododendron would be happy but might not
bloom if they didn't get enough sunlight. Sunlight is what stimulates
them to set flower buds. Some varieties tolerate more shade than
others. Some require almost full sun to bloom. If you are in a cold
climate, the rhododendrons like winter shade and wind breaks, but summer
sun and moist well drained soil.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6