Old 21-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Paulo

Default Rhododendron

I was thinking to plant a rhododendron (or 2) close to some austrians pines.
I have an elevated space that receive quite some sun in the afternoon,
maybe 3 hours. Because the proximity (2 ft) from this pines and the soil is
covered with the needles I thouhgt could be a good option (acidic soil). I
think I should work the soil deep to be sure it is good enough for the
rhododendrons.
Do you think this could work? Any other option for such a location?

Thnks

--
Paulo

Old 22-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:53:06 -0500, "Paulo" wrote:

I was thinking to plant a rhododendron (or 2) close to some austrians pines.
I have an elevated space that receive quite some sun in the afternoon,
maybe 3 hours. Because the proximity (2 ft) from this pines and the soil is
covered with the needles I thouhgt could be a good option (acidic soil). I
think I should work the soil deep to be sure it is good enough for the
rhododendrons.
Do you think this could work? Any other option for such a location?

Thnks

It sounds like it's too close. Plant outside the drip line.
Old 23-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

I agree with Phisherman. Too close. The trees will soak up the moisture, too much shade and you won't be able to work the soil for planting with all those tree roots. Rhodos are shallow rooted anyway. You should find this helpful.

http://www.rhododendrons.co.uk/cultural_notes.htm

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 23-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Stephen Henning

"Paulo" wrote:

I was thinking to plant a rhododendron close to some austrian pines.
I have an elevated space that receive some sun in the afternoon,
maybe 3 hours. Because the proximity (2 ft) from this pine the soil
is covered with the needles I thought could be a good option (acidic
soil). I think I should work the soil deep to be sure it is good
enough for the rhododendrons.
Do you think this could work? Any other option for such a location?

You have several things going against you. Rhododendrons are shallow
rooted and can't compete with roots from other plants. You would have
to prepare the planting site by digging a shallow hole, chopping out any
pine roots, and putting in a barrier to keep the pine roots out. Sounds
like a lot of work. Then the rhododendron would be happy but might not
bloom if they didn't get enough sunlight. Sunlight is what stimulates
them to set flower buds. Some varieties tolerate more shade than
others. Some require almost full sun to bloom. If you are in a cold
climate, the rhododendrons like winter shade and wind breaks, but summer
sun and moist well drained soil.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 23-02-2005, 10:25 PM
paghat

In article , Stephen
Henning wrote:

"Paulo" wrote:

[...]

While that's bound to be 80 or 90% true, on the other hand SOME
rhododendrons would probably love to be right up close to large trees. At
SinLur Stoneworks Garden are wild areas with cedars, douglas-firs, &
hemlocks, many with huge wild coast rhododendrons which self-selected
their preferred locations within four to ten feet of the trunks of very
large trees, well inside driplines. They are always healthy enormous
rhodies that love the needly soil & semi-shade & are unaffected by how dry
the soil can be amidst tree roots. The only coast rhodies that are not in
such self-selected locations on the property are the ones left behind
where their sheltering trees were cut down, & some of those show signs of
not liking it out in the full light without a big tree as their nearby
pal.

I don't know what percentage of cultivars would share this wild rhody's
preference, but surely some do, & if I were to make some guesses, I'd
include such azaleas as 'Poukhahense Compacta' that blooms well in dryish
shady spots but can be weak in sunny moist spots, or the short 'Purple
Splendor' which blooms extravagantly in degrees of shade that'd keep most
rhodies from blooming at all. A plausible list of possibilities might be
developed from the Greer guide's back-pages chart showing preferred levels
of sun to shade, cross-referencing which varieties want the most shade to
which require the least moisture, & among that whittled list should be
more than a few that would share the Coast Rhody's preference for being
under large conifers.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 23-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Paulo

Thanks a lot for all the responses.
The place where i was thinking to plant the rhododendron is elevated. 2'
from the pine is and square 1' high and 2x2'. I should check the distance
that this plot it from the pines, but i guess could be almost 3', I am sure
I will have to work the soil deep enough but again, because is elevated
fromthe "real" soil level, i can do this without touching the pine roots.
Also I do not consider this spot to be shady, has a lot of light and
afternoon sun. I will check also azaleas.

Thanks a lot!

--
Paulo
"paghat" wrote in message
news

[IMG] code is On

Rhododendron limey Gardening 3 11-04-2003 11:08 PM
rhododendron problem Andy Gardening 7 11-04-2003 02:44 PM
Rhododendron question Craig L. Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Pests in Verbena and Rhododendron Peter James United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
rhododendron litangense questions from Oregon Doonemd Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 03:20 PM