Old 23-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Gary

On 2/17/05 4:37 AM, in article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

Two or three seasons ago I planted a half-dozen raspberry canes -

snip

(even though I have read you shouldn't pick the first
year's crop you should let it wither on the canes to provide nourishment for
a larger crop the following year).

Not true. Eat away!

To date I have had three rather hard and wizened berries - and that's it.

When you see that water the plants...and give them a top dressing of manure
or compost and water it in.

The canes look dead - I am hoping (rather forlornly, I suspect) for them to
suddenly undergo a miraculous resurrection, but I fear it isn't going to
happen.

Last years canes are dead and should be removed. New growth out of the
ground will provide fruit next year. Do you see any new growth on the
ground? If so that is a good sign that they are still alive.

the soil here is sandy.

Your soil probably needs lots of manure...or compost...
What conditions do they prefer?

Lots of manure and ample water.

They are down the bottom of the garden, up
against the fence that divides us from next-door.

Is it a south facing fence? If so, and you have a sandy soil...lack of
water.

I tried to prepare the
soil as best I could (my sister has a horse so, if anyone in the Chilterns
area wants any manure I'm sure an arrangement could be reached). Someone
suggested blood and bone meal

I haven't used blood and bone meal and don't think you will need any either.
Just use the horse manure. Use lots of it. It is free and free is good.

but I have to say I didn't get any - should I
have done? I really rather fancy growing a mix of red and yellow ones this
time - Dobies have 'All Gold' at £10.95 for 5 canes and 'Joan J' for £9.95
for the same amount. The latter has a four month fruiting period. The
fruiting period for 'All Gold' isn't stated.

Read below...

But, before I outlay any more, can I revive what I have? They certainly look
dead but, as I am a thicky when it comes to all things both
horti-and-agricultural, I am hoping that there might be a slim chance they
could be coaxed back into some kind of life. Raspberries are my favourites -
and I think they're maligned as people appear to prefer strawberries. I do
not - give me a bowl of (organic) raspberries and (organic) cream any day!

I Love Raspberries: These are my suggestions and ideas:
You can eat any and all raspberries produced by a plant. No advantage to
leaving on. If your berries are small and dried out then they need two
things moisture and food. You said you have sandy soil so that makes me
think that your plants died from a lack of water. So this is what I would
do.
1. Prepare the whole bed by adding copious amounts of aged or raw manure.
Dig it all in and make sure it is Œblendedı with the soil. This should be
fairly easy to do if you have sandy soil. This manure will do two things,
help to hold the moisture and provide food for the worms and the plants. I
would dig a trench on both sides (if possible) of the raspberry row and fill
with the rawest manure you can find...horse manure is good. I have used
chicken porridge...right out of the egg barn...it sure does smell! No, that
is not true, the nose smells...chicken porridge stinks! Cover the
trenches with the soil that was removed.
2. Why buy plants when you could find someone who has an established bed and
trade horse manure (or W.H.Y.) for some of the many suckers they are sure to
have. Just dig up root and all...if the soil falls off the roots don't worry
about it. Just keep the roots covered so they don't dry out. They are a
tough plant and will take lots of abuse.
3. The roots of raspberries travel outwards under the surface and will soon
find the manure in the trenches. To help getting them started, a top
watering with manure tea will help immensely. Over dilute the tea spread on
the plants several times. This will prevent burning the new plant. Or if
after applying you think the tea may have been too strong just dilute by
watering with water.
Some have said that raspberries prefer the shade. I prefer to grow them in
full sun otherwise the plants reach for the sun and become leggy.
Good luck
Gary