Old 24-02-2005, 08:25 AM
RB

Default chain link fence query

We have approx 4 acres fenced with light 4' high chain link fencing at our
church. Sections of the fence have been damaged or destroyed by big trees
falling across it.

We're trying to figure out if repair of damaged portions is a "do it
yourself" project or not for a couple of old geezers. Some answers to the
below questions will certainly help us get an answer to this query:

a. Do steel line posts have to be cemented in?

b. Are there couplings and fittings which will enable us to splice top bar
tubing (horizontal) pieces so that we can just walk up to a damaged section
and fix it without having to tear out more fenceline?

c. As to putting replacement chain link material in place, it appears it
might be as simple as vertically cutting off just prior to bent/damaged
areas, and then splicing onto that and carrying the run all the way to the
next good section.

d. Do we need to fasten the top edge of the chain link fence material to
the horizontal tubing?

It may be that the make or break factor will be if we have to re-dig a bunch
of post holes where posts have been knocked down. If we can do that with
power augers, maybe OK. If not, we won't be able to handle hand digging of
post holes.

If we have to cement the posts in that's going to be a real problem, too, as
some of the areas are very inaccessible. Getting fresh mix concrete to them
would require wheeling in a barrow quite a ways, one way, for each.