Old 24-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Marty Haber

You hit in on the head! Whenever junipers are grown in the vicinity of Malus
(apples), they become hosts to apple rust. When the berries open, they
provide the spores which infect the apples. Then the apples develop leaf
galls which, in turn, infect the junipers. Once you see a few of those
"berries", examine the entire plant for them and cut them off. You will
probably have to remove many of the branchlets to which they cling, since
they wrap themselves around the branches. Once they open, they exude a
disgusting orange gel, so try to get to them before this happens.
As for the infected apple leaves, you must remove all these leaves as soon
as you see black spots appear.
Some people defoliate their apples even before seeing any damage.
Don't toss the infected leaves on the ground, but place them in a plastic
bag and seal it. The same goes for the juniper galls. Good luck, Doug.