Old 24-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Jim Lewis

On 24 Feb 2005 at 10:51, Douglas Taylor wrote:

I was thinning my Pro. Nana Juniper cascade and I noticed,
buried in the poofy overgrowth, a few smallish (3/32"-1/8)
smooth, shinny, light brown, oval berry looking growths
attached to the still green twigs.

I have seen these in the past and assumed they where the
dormant state of cedar apple rust and trimmed them off.

Is this what they are?

Yes, or perhaps a closely related fungus. If you grow crabapple
(or perhaps pear or hawthorn) bonsai as well as juniper it's
almost certain you will get this at one time or another.

Careful removal and total off-site disposal of infected leaves
and "cedar apples" will _help_ to control it. I know of no way
to eradicate it.

If you grow juniper bonsai and there are apple orchards or even
individual apple, pear, etc.(including wild crabapple) trees in
the neighborhood (200 yards) you'll also get it, and perhaps
with more regularity since there's no way to control the Rosa
family species half of the fungal equation.

It _may_ be possible (but I wouldn't bet the farm on it) to
control the rust by spraying the apples, etc. with a fungicide
containing captan, mancozeb, myclobutanil, or triadimefon (READ
THE LABEL!!!!). And be careful, those aren't for use by the
faint of heart. There is no chemical treatment for junipers
that I know of.

The cedar apples do no lasting damage to the juniper. What
damage that does occur will happen when you remove the apples.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++