Old 24-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Wes Wilson

Mikael wrote:

Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to over run my
hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I have a large yard, and
a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any advice.
Mikael

Hi Michael & All - For briars with stickers like you describe - and if
one has the stamina - one then could use a long handled tool with narrow
sharp scythe-like steel cutter (perhaps 3" wide?) at the side of its
two-sided sharp steel tip. Using such a tool carefully one can use it
to reach to the base of the blackberry and 'pull-or-push-cut' the canes
- which can then be heaped and carried aloft without too many scratches
then - using a long handled pitchfork - taken to your composting pile -
or if practical and in a safe fire place and time, etc. - perhaps you'll
want to burn them up in a bonfire. Fortunately I think there is just
such a tool already available for your needs - if not in your local
supplier's place then perhaps you might check out the J.M. Leonard Co.
catalog (- they're a mail order garden tool company w/free-catalog).
Good luck! - Wes/MO