Old 21-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Mikael

Default Problem with briars

Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to over run my
hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I have a large yard, and
a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any advice.
Mikael

Old 21-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Travis

Mikael wrote:
Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to over
run my hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I have a
large yard, and a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any advice.
Mikael

Please define briars.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 22-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Mikael

Strong single growths that grow out of the ground they grow close together
and are impossible to get though, and have thorns from one end to the
others. They are hard to cut down when they start getting thick. Some thing
like Blackberry briers but thicker and worse. I hope this helps you
understand.
Mikael

Old 22-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Mikael

Travis, this link will explain it better.
http://www.atbmx.com/articles/briars.htm
Mikael

Old 22-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:05:38 GMT, "Mikael"
wrote:

Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to over run my
hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I have a large yard, and
a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any advice.
Mikael

I had this problem too. I kept pulling them up and after 2 years,
they are all gone. You can use a pair of pliers or whatever you find
easy. It's easiest to pull them up after a soaking rain.

Old 22-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Hal

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:03:31 GMT, "Mikael"
wrote:

Strong single growths that grow out of the ground they grow close together
and are impossible to get though, and have thorns from one end to the
others. They are hard to cut down when they start getting thick. Some thing
like Blackberry briers but thicker and worse. I hope this helps you
understand.
Mikael

Dig up a root and see if it has a bulbous like rhizome that connects
to others just as ugly. That is probably pipe briar, not blackberry.
The only cure I know is dig up the roots. Blackberry can be a PITA,
but can be killed with careful applications of Roundup, I don't know
of a herbicide that kills pipe briar.

Regards,

Hal
Old 22-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Mikael

Thanks Hal, I know they are not Blackberry. I was just using that as an
example, trying to explain them to Travis.

Old 22-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Travis

Mikael wrote:
Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to
over run my hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I
have a large yard, and a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any advice.
Mikael

Please define briars.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

That link does not tell what briars are as in a botanical name.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 22-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Travis

wrote:

Strong single growths that grow out of the ground they grow close
together and are impossible to get though, and have thorns from
one end to the others. They are hard to cut down when they start
getting thick. Some thing like Blackberry briers but thicker and
worse. I hope this helps you understand.
Mikael

Dig up a root and see if it has a bulbous like rhizome that connects
to others just as ugly. That is probably pipe briar, not
blackberry. The only cure I know is dig up the roots. Blackberry
can be a PITA, but can be killed with careful applications of
Roundup, I don't know of a herbicide that kills pipe briar.

Regards,

Hal

When I Google for "pipe briar" all I get is stuff about pipes for
smoking tobacoo.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Mikael wrote:
Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to
over run my hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I
have a large yard, and a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any advice.
Mikael

Please define briars.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

That link does not tell what briars are as in a botanical name.

All of the briars (or 'briers', as the USDA would have it) that I am familiar
with are classified in the genus Smilax:
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topic...i&symbol=SMCA2
I'm in the southeast part of the US though, not in the PNW. Perhaps there are
other genera where you are.

I find the page referenced by the OP offensive, BTW. Besides the large amounts
of misinformation and the anthropomorphism and misdirected censure ("Until
you've had one rip your skin though, it's hard to understand and appreciate
their viciousness and disregard for life. Briars attack their prey with
vengeance..."), I am also offended by the author's apparent belief that he has
the right to destroy native life so he can more comfortably ride wheeled
vehicles through woodlands. Some similarly inclined yahoos decided they could
tear up the woodlands behind our house with their very noisy ATVs without regard
to the rights of anyone else, including native vegetation and other wildlife.
Our briars made them rethink their assumptions. In that encounter the score
stands at briars 2, yahoos 0.

I've never tried killing the briars on our property because I think they are
beautiful, they've never been a problem, and I encourage native vegetation as
much as possible, but if I had the OP's problem I think I would try painting the
unwanted plants with a mixture of a Triclopyr-containing herbicide such as
Brush-B-Gon and an adjuvant such as lamp oil. It works wonders on all sorts of
difficult plants, including even Chinese Tallow Tree (Sapium sebiferum).

Old 23-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Travis

Mikael wrote:
Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to
over run my hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I
have a large yard, and a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any
advice. Mikael

Please define briars.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

That link does not tell what briars are as in a botanical name.

All of the briars (or 'briers', as the USDA would have it) that I
am familiar with are classified in the genus Smilax:
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topic...i&symbol=SMCA2
I'm in the southeast part of the US though, not in the PNW. Perhaps
there are other genera where you are.

Thank you.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Mikael

Sorry for the poor link, it was the first one I found. Thanks for the advice
on getting rid of them.
Mikael

Old 24-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Wes Wilson

Mikael wrote:

Is there any way to keep ahead of briars. They are starting to over run my
hill side yard. I can't seem to keep up with them. I have a large yard, and
a lot of it is hill. Thanks for any advice.
Mikael

Hi Michael & All - For briars with stickers like you describe - and if
one has the stamina - one then could use a long handled tool with narrow
sharp scythe-like steel cutter (perhaps 3" wide?) at the side of its
two-sided sharp steel tip. Using such a tool carefully one can use it
to reach to the base of the blackberry and 'pull-or-push-cut' the canes
- which can then be heaped and carried aloft without too many scratches
then - using a long handled pitchfork - taken to your composting pile -
or if practical and in a safe fire place and time, etc. - perhaps you'll
want to burn them up in a bonfire. Fortunately I think there is just
such a tool already available for your needs - if not in your local
supplier's place then perhaps you might check out the J.M. Leonard Co.
catalog (- they're a mail order garden tool company w/free-catalog).
Good luck! - Wes/MO