Old 24-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.

Harry

"Mike Prager" §kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in message

Has anyone tried to grow a bay leaf tree? I saw one yesterday at a Sears
garden store and wanted to try it. I leave in zone 10b. Thanks

Yes, Laurus nobilis (culinary bay) grows OK here in 8a. It
gets nipped by freezes, but is growing steadily & provides
enough leaves for cooking.

I'm not sure whether it would do well as far south as you are
-- Dirr's book reports zones 8b to 9 on the East Coast of the
US. It is native to the Mediterranean region, and it might be
bothered by the high heat & humidity I assume you have in 10b.

Why not give it a try?

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)