Old 24-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:34:15 +1100, "Peter Jason"
wrote:

I have a large 2-story wall facing east (rising sun side) and I need an ivy
to cover it.

Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?

Regards Peter.

At one time we had a cottage with a small enclosed walled garden. On
one of the walls we grew a variegated ivy (don't know which, but there
are plenty to choose from), and planted close by, a small-leaved
Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia. During the summer and
autumn, the creeper hid the ivy, but the latter was quite happy
growing underneath. We had the benefit of the green creeper leaves in
summer, followed by brilliant red in autumn, and in winter when the
creeper leaves had fallen we had the benefit of the variegated ivy.

The ivy was quite well behaved, but the vine did tend to get
everywhere!

--
Chris