Old 23-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Peter Jason

Default Need Ivy for an external wall.

I have a large 2-story wall facing east (rising sun side) and I need an ivy
to cover it.

Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?

Regards Peter.

Old 23-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Robert

:
: Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?
:
: Regards Peter.
:
Let me try and dissuade you, I have always loved Ivy but the damage done to
my back walls has persuaded me never to let them grow there again

Old 23-02-2005, 08:29 AM
JennyC

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
I have a large 2-story wall facing east (rising sun side) and I need an ivy
to cover it.

Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?

Regards Peter.

Ummmmm - all ivyies are evergreen :~))

Here's a site where you can choose one :
http://www.eastcheam.co.uk/

There is an URG FAQ about ivy / walls etc:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqivy.html

Jenny

Old 23-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Robert wrote:
"Peter Jason" wrote in message
I have a large 2-story wall facing east (rising sun side) and I need
an ivy to cover it.

Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?

Regards Peter.

Let me try and dissuade you, I have always loved Ivy but the damage
done to my back walls has persuaded me never to let them grow there
again

I'm with you there. My father has just removed a particularly invasive one -
he even tarred the stumps so it wouldn't get any ideas about growing back.
How about a clematis?
on salads.

Old 24-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:34:15 +1100, "Peter Jason"
wrote:

I have a large 2-story wall facing east (rising sun side) and I need an ivy
to cover it.

Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?

Regards Peter.

At one time we had a cottage with a small enclosed walled garden. On
one of the walls we grew a variegated ivy (don't know which, but there
are plenty to choose from), and planted close by, a small-leaved
Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia. During the summer and
autumn, the creeper hid the ivy, but the latter was quite happy
growing underneath. We had the benefit of the green creeper leaves in
summer, followed by brilliant red in autumn, and in winter when the
creeper leaves had fallen we had the benefit of the variegated ivy.

The ivy was quite well behaved, but the vine did tend to get
everywhere!

--
Chris

Old 24-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Sally Thompson

wrote:

I have a large 2-story wall facing east (rising sun side) and I need an ivy
to cover it.

Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?

You might get some ideas from browsing the catalogue for these people
who are home to the national hedera collection:
http://www.fibrex.co.uk/

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap
Old 26-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

I have a large 2-story wall facing east (rising sun side) and I

need
an ivy to cover it.

Can someone help me with an evergreen species to do the job?

You might get some ideas from browsing the catalogue for these

people
who are home to the national hedera collection:
http://www.fibrex.co.uk/

I just want to reinforce the money-saving advice not to plant ivy on
a house. It's very destructive when it gets into the joints of
woodwork, behind guttering, or under slates; and it will do so. There
are plenty of gentler climbers to choose from.

Mike.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Concord Wall Blocks (Retaining Wall) Patrick Gillette Gardening 0 06-10-2004 10:34 PM
I need some input on external pump install mike Ponds 2 10-04-2004 02:34 AM